Firebird Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone can help me. Bought my 67 project car last year, and it's a Frankenstein of a car. The rear springs are shot and need replaced, but I can't quite tell exactly what the previous owner did to this suspension.

As you can see from the pix below, the springs have major sag. From what I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong) but it looks like they attempted to install multi-springs. The original mono leaf perch is there, but since the shocks are staggered, they used the lower plates from a 68/69. Instead of using a conversion kit for the multi, they actually removed a couple of the leafs instead (you can see one of the metal clamps still there, but too big for the 2 remaining leafs) so that the original perch and new lower plate would fit. Again, I'm only guessing. Take a look at the pix and let me know what your thoughts are.

My next questions are A) I found a set of used mono springs locally that are in much better condition than my current springs, at a great price. With my current set-up, could I simply install the mono springs with new bushings and pads? This is just temporary until I can afford a nice multi leaf set, and any other parts I'd need to make that happen. I'm hoping that new bushings for the traction rods and the staggered shocks will help with ride hopping...no?

B) If I can't easily install mono springs into my current set-up, what all do I need to convert to multi leaf? Can I use the mono perch with spacers, or would I need a deeper perch welded on?

Thanks for you suggestions. Everything the previous owner did to this thing needs to be completely re-done. Then again, it IS a "Project Car" ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Looks like they put on second Gen springs but removed the leafs to make em fit the mono leaf perches on the axle, there does not appear to be the rubber perch pads and looks like home made lift shackles to compensate for removing leafs

What to do depends on what you want to do with the car, are you show restoring or making a driver?

Show restore , go buy new mono leafs and repop rear shackles and a rubber perch bushing kit

If you want a driver and want to upgrade the rear look at my thread in the first Gen section about the rear swap to second Gen rear and springs

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Ok

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Yes shipping sucks I found a OEM fender from franks for $250 and the shipping from California to Ohio was $179 but it's a oem fender so it's worth it

Reactions: billymagg

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.