Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the bird out today to discover that it would not shift out of 1st gear. Troubleshooting on the internet led me to check vacuum to the vacuum modulater which was fine, and replace the modulator, to no effect. My attention moved to the kick down switch. Switch tested fine, by which I mean that when depressed the kickdown breaks the circuit, when released it completes it. When connected, a little clicking can be heard at the transmission.

So with the kickdown disconnected, the transmission shifts fine (that's good!), but when I connect the kickdown, it won't come out of first gear. My two go to guys for questions were both confused by way the kickdown seems to operate. Their assumption was that when depressed, the kickdown would send power to the kickdown solenoid on the transmission, but that isn't what happens.

Does someone have some insight into what I've got going on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Eric, you need a normally open switch. your guys are correct the switch is suppose to send power to the transmission for kickdown . I just went through the same issue. The original switches are no longer available. It sounds like you have the little round switch that is sold on ebay. (it will not work) I ended up purchasing a b&m kick down switch. I had to make a modification to the original bracket and it works great. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-20297

good luck

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike, we ended up getting one of those too. Fortunately, having the wrong kickdown in didn't seem to hurt the detent solenoid!

That's a pretty yellow Bird you got there, you should share some more pics with us! Start a new thread for it, we'd love to check it out!

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Hes right Mike, nice yellow bird

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
when you reply, click on "more reply options" and a new window will open up giving pic upload capability.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts