Firebird Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, back again, so when i was taking out the igntion lock I noticed that the key turned all the way back when it was but when it is in the column it wont turn to the "lock" position only to the neutral and run. I looked inside and the gear that i guess turns the car on looked fine. im wondering what is going on. is it the lock cylinder or something inside the steering column that needs fixing. also i used to be able to take the key out in neutral but now i cant so do i need a new lock cylinder also?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Grab the column right at the dash and see if you can turn it or if it turns itself when you go through the gears. It's part of the backdrive mechanism.. may need adjusting.

·
Administrator
2,391 Posts
If the car is "in gear" you can't turn the key to lock. While your shifter is located on the floor, it is not connected to the transmission, it is connected to the steering column.If something is out of adjustment between the shifter and column or column to transmission, you may be in park on the shifter but the ignition cylinder might think you're in reverse or between park and reverse preventing the key cylinder from rotating to the lock position.

Behind the steering wheel there is a part of the column that rotates. Think of a column shifter. That part is what you're being instructed to rotate. If it rotates to the left (looking from top) and your key can then be placed in "lock", you need to adjust some linkage. It's quite common.

Reactions: Will Trill

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the car is "in gear" you can't turn the key to lock. While your shifter is located on the floor, it is not connected to the transmission, it is connected to the steering column.If something is out of adjustment between the shifter and column or column to transmission, you may be in park on the shifter but the ignition cylinder might think you're in reverse or between park and reverse preventing the key cylinder from rotating to the lock position.

Behind the steering wheel there is a part of the column that rotates. Think of a column shifter. That part is what you're being instructed to rotate. If it rotates to the left (looking from top) and your key can then be placed in "lock", you need to adjust some linkage. It's quite common.
how do you do the adjustment?

is there a link or something?

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,260 Posts
To determine if the problem is due to "adjustment", first you need to test by rotating the part of the steering column described above, to see if moving that rotating part releases the key so it can be turned to "lock". You can also try turning the key to "lock" while moving the transmission shift lever through the various gear positions (Park through Drive).

Do the test first, come back with the results and someone can tell you what to do next.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,260 Posts
Grab the column right at the dash and see if you can turn it or if it turns itself when you go through the gears.

·
Registered
30 Posts
when I go into park it goes rotates clockwise. I also had to take off the shift cable off the side of the transmission when i had to do the seal gasket is that maybe how it got messed up? if so is there a video for adjustment? also i tried turning the key back to lock while going through all the gears and it did not go at all

·
Registered
454 Posts
At 3:38 this vid shows the adjustment bolt for the rod that goes up to the steering column. On the steering column under the dash is an electrical box that controls your reverse lights and neutral safety switch, maybe something else too but I can't remember. The rod from the tranny goes to a lever in the engine compartment on the steering column that controls the electrical box and your steering wheel lock. The electrical box and the rod are adjustable, the lock out is not adjustable. Adjust the rod to work the lock out properly first, then adjust the electrical box to work the reverse lights and neutral safety switch. Should be good to go if headers are not messing things up or bad bushings.

I would imagine that the rod needs to be all the way up while the tranny is in park. Be careful not to knock it out of park accidentally while under the car.. always chock things up

1 - 14 of 14 Posts