Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

As part of my future build, I am going to need a spare ECU that I can send to INTENSE for custom Programming.

Currently at the Junkyard they are running a 50% off their already discounted prices because you pull the parts yourself... so I could get a ECU for around $40... too good to pass up.

I have a 97 3.8 Firebird with the digital Odometer. The Firebirds they have there are are 3.8's but only have the non-digital odometer, they do have 3.8 Camaros form 98 to 02 with the digital OD's.

Can I pull out a Camaro ECU from a 98 or 99, and put it into my 97?

I know they are they same engines and trans... but do I have to have a stick with a particular year?

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
I used my salvage yard search engine www.car-part.com to do a search. They include interchange results in their search. It seems 97 does not interchange with any other year. But that could be because of the big supply of that years pcm.

The good news is, you don't have to stick with a F-body pcm. According to the interchange info, all 97 GM cars using the normally aspirated 3.8 use the same computer.

However, in your best interests I'd search and get you pcm number. Then search and see what else uses that pcm.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem with the 97 PCM is that some come with Digital Odometer, and others don't from what I have seen. I checked the door stamps, they are indeed 97's, makes me believe there is other things I could expect to not match up too.. I received a response back form Intense Racing, about the possibility of excluding the PCM tuning form my Performance Package order, and they said they will work with me. I have a place down the road that will do custom tuning for me, so I don't have to wait for the mail order PCM. I they can just deduct the cost of the PCM tuning from the Core Charge on the Heads and I will be a happy camper. I'm still in the parts collecting phase of this build, so these questions are better asked now instead of later.

It seems that if I try to pull and have a spare PCM like this, I will be asking for trouble.

Thanks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:

I scored a BD-11A Powerdyne Supercharger for $700 today. It was taken off a 5.3L Vortec Engine with brackets and mounts included. I haven't mocked up anything yet, I highly doubt I can use the mounts but still a huge victory.

I was told it had less than 10,000 miles on it, and was working perfectly when it was removed I appears to be in good condition (minor scuffs and scratches), spins very smoothly, and has a 3.25 " Pulley.

I may still have it sent out for a refresh/rebuild just to be safe... even so, I'm coming out way ahead of my build budget.

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
If you pull a pcm from a car with the same type of instrument cluster as you have, you should be good. Or you can get any 97 pcm and have tuner load the bin file that is put into the pcm in your car.

Seeing that you will need to tune for the mods that will have, it shouldn't cost too much more to tune 2 pcm's instead of 1.

Also have whoever does your pcm tuning to e-mail you the bin file he uploads to your computer. That way if data ever gets corrupted in one of your pcm's, you will have the tune on file to reload.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts