Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Pontiac Firebird WS6, 5.7L V8, LT1 348
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I know it is debated whether or not you should jack a car up or down by the rear differential and I wanted your guys thoughts on this. So right now my car is up on four jack stands and I am going to let it run a little tomorrow and if everything goes well I am going to let it down. I am going to look into the FSM for feedback. However, I have two floor jacks and I was actually planning to do one floor jack on each side with myself on one side and my father on the other. Then slowly letting it down.

However, I was thinking I may be able to outright solve this from the start if I can evenly jack it up from one point and pull out two stands simultaneously. Because I did this very slowly and one corner and one stand at a time. I already searched the site but couldn't seem to find anything about the jacking the car up by the differential. My jack is pretty low profile but I do worry about jacking on something that may pin it against the ground.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For what is worth, the service manual says to lift the rear by putting a jack under the diff.
Thanks,

I am looking on page 0A-7 of the 1996 FSM. I was wondering about that because it mentions using a point on the differential. I guess I will be using the differential. I never have on any vehicle before. I guess it goes without saying to try to keep it off the plate you remove to change the gear oil?

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
It's not a problem or "any more unsafe" to use a hydraulic floor jack to do this front or rear. In my opinion it's actually better as you're not twisting the unit- body so severely. ...just be mindful of the differential cover and there's no worries. If you only have a bottle jack or scissor jack, always use the corners or factory marked jack points.

Reactions: TheFoxRocks

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not a problem or "any more unsafe" to use a hydraulic floor jack to do this front or rear. In my opinion it's actually better as you're not twisting the unit- body so severely. ...just be mindful of the differential cover and there's no worries. If you only have a bottle jack or scissor jack, always use the corners or factory marked jack points.
Hey Tony,

Thanks for stopping by, haven't heard from you in awhile. I was thinking you were weaning me off from your aid after holding my hand all year long. So I never really noticed any "jack points" on this car. Maybe I need to look harder or something. The Camry I share with my father has several circularly marked spots that are meant for floor jacks. It is convenient and I haven't noticed anything like that on this car.

Also I noticed that I somehow accidentally posted to First Generation instead of Fourth Generation. If it matters at all could this post be moved?

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
1,842 Posts
Thread moved to Fourth Generation Pontiac Firebird forum.

Reactions: TheFoxRocks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks,

I am looking on page 0A-7 of the 1996 FSM. I was wondering about that because it mentions using a point on the differential. I guess I will be using the differential. I never have on any vehicle before. I guess it goes without saying to try to keep it off the plate you remove to change the gear oil?
my floor jack doesn't have a circular rubber guard so I am very weary of putting it under the diff.
the issue I see is if you somehow don't make good contact all the way around, a few points of the diff will be in contact with the sharp corners of the floor jack's lift points. then you are carrying the whole weight of the car on those points and pressure will be very high.

So, I would suggest get some sort of a padding for the floor jack so the weight of the car and the pressure would be spread.

you're also less likely to mar any paint, undercoating, etc.

here's a sample of what I found:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my floor jack doesn't have a circular rubber guard so I am very weary of putting it under the diff.
the issue I see is if you somehow don't make good contact all the way around, a few points of the diff will be in contact with the sharp corners of the floor jack's lift points. then you are carrying the whole weight of the car on those points and pressure will be very high.

So, I would suggest get some sort of a padding for the floor jack so the weight of the car and the pressure would be spread.

you're also less likely to mar any paint, undercoating, etc.

here's a sample of what I found:

I remember looking at this things before but never bought one for some reason. I just ordered one. Thanks for reminding me about it, should have already had one. I am more than likely going to purchase new tires soon and as people have mentioned the ones on there right now might not make it. I am have to get the car legal again as well. So I may be jacking it back up again and just taking the old tires and wheels to whoever I do business with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts