Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw a 1992 pontiac firebird Trans am for sale.
It has a 6 spd swap, new headers, and a new exhaust installed.
The car is in good working condition, and has 156x miles on it.
All it needs right now is to be painted.
The price on it is $2000.

And I was just curious if this seemed like a good deal, I don't really know anything about these cars, so I didn't know if that many miles on this car would mean it's on the edge of its life span. Please let me know what you guys think, thanks.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,404 Posts
As noted, please post a topic in only one forum.

Which one do you want me to delete? This forum is more likely to get a response than "Part Numbers and General Info".

·
Administrator
2,465 Posts
Sounds reasonable. Might be "end of life" though, it depends on how well it was taken care of. If it isn't leaking fluids or smoking them, it's worth a second look. 6-speed swap kinda says it's been beat on a bit though, but, you're the one with eyes on it. Kbb.com will tell you the value for your area, you're spending the money. ...do what *you* feel is right.

A pristine looking vehicle can be a giant hunk of crap, and what looks like a giant hunk of crap could very well be the best running car on the road. It's a gamble with *any* used vehicle, especially 24 year old ones. You're the best source for your answer. Whatever you buy that is used will require some work, and, generally will need a little more maintenance than something newer. Older also means things will break sooner.

It's all a matter of:

Do you want a Firebird.

Do you want a 3rd Gen?

Are you willing to put money into the vehicle as needed and suffer a break-down or few?

Are you willing to do the troubleshooting and wrench turning yourself?

Do you accept that you may spend more than the vehicles value in repairs over a year or few?

Do you accept that one day you may sit down, figure out what you've spent so far, and realize you could have afforded a car payment (insurance included) on something much newer, nicer, and fuel efficient?

...if you answered yes to all, buy it and happily be its care-taker. Enjoy learning it and becoming intimate with every fastener and system in/on the vehicle. Turning your own wrench is rewarding.

If you answered "no" to any of those questions, you need to re-think everything. '90s American cars aren't exactly known for their reliability. Keep up on their maintenance and be proactive in searching out developing problems, and, yes, they are reliable. The more you work on it, the more you know what you have. The more you know, the more confident in its ability to remain on the road you will become.

...just, whatever you buy used, do NOT expect "5 years" of trouble free service. Expect only 5 hours, then 5 weeks, then 5 months, then maybe 1 year and go from there. At 150,000mi, it's either had a lot of the major things redone, or, it's all 50,000mi+ overdue. No way to get inside the engine/transmission and see. Just expect something to break soon. If it doesn't, *great*, if it does, well, it was expected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts