Firebird Nation banner

Is it a ws6 or not?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Millertime0518 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi guys ,

Im here to find out if my uncle's car is really a ws6 car and also was wondering how rare it is. Its a 1997 Trans am convertible 6spd with ram air. I was wondering if it had the ws6 suspension because the door tag has code ws6 on it but it does not have the ws6 badge or wheels but has 16in. chrome wheels with abs center cap which I assume are the regular trans am wheels?

Any info would be great

Anthony

#3 ·
If it doesn't have the ram-air hood and badging, not a "true" ws6. You say it has the hood though... Maybe the badging was removed to fool an insurance agent or protect the wheels, (or couldn't afford 17" tires), or, the car is just a plain T/A with the ws6 option added via special order after-the-fact.

WS6 means 17" wheels, suspension upgrades, and ram-air. sounds like two of three are on that vehicle, so, I wouldn't doubt it's authenticity. looks like just shy of 1,500 ws6's that year and being convertible makes it even more rare ofna beast.\

2 Of 3 options says the wheels were changed or downgraded by the dealer, or, ws6 was optioned without buying a full blown ws6.

Who knows. ...just beg to borrow it for date night and enjoy! :)

#4 ·
The WS6 convertibles came with 16" wheels, with the ABS cap. The WS6 cap would not fit in the 16" wheel. GM did not feel 17" wheels would give good ride characteristics on the heavier convertible. They did the same thing with the Camaro SS.... 16" wheels on convertibles. 17" for coupes/t-tops.

Run the VIN on the compnine site and you will get a complete breakdown of all the options on the car when it left the factory. Right down to the specific RPO designation for each suspension spring. The service parts tag is the best evidence, assuming it is not counterfeit.

Reactions: GaryDoug
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.