Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last thing that was done to the prior to the consistent blowing of the fuse was an alarm installation. Before the alarm was installed, the only issue that the car had was that the turn signal indicator on the gauge cluster would stay lit. Didn't affect turn signals at all.

But now the IP dimmer fuse blows out completely. What can be the cause and how do I go about solving it?

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
First thing is to open this link and download the 94 service manual. It will have wiring diagrams. The one you want starts on page 8A-117-2

http://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

The first thing that comes to mind is the alarm system installation has something to do with your problem. However, you say that a turn signal light in cluster was on before the alarm install. This leads me to believe you have a short in the dimming light circuit.

That's why wiring diagram is needed. You mission, should you decide to accept, is to find the short and repair the wire, bulb socket, etc, causing the short.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing is to open this link and download the 94 service manual. It will have wiring diagrams. The one you want starts on page 8A-117-2

http://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

The first thing that comes to mind is the alarm system installation has something to do with your problem. However, you say that a turn signal light in cluster was on before the alarm install. This leads me to believe you have a short in the dimming light circuit.

That's why wiring diagram is needed. You mission, should you decide to accept, is to find the short and repair the wire, bulb socket, etc, causing the short.
In your experience, how hard and how long will this take - to find a short? I'm free most weekends. Working 8-5 kinda puts me in a pickle :(

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
If you've downloaded the 94 manual, and are looking at the wiring diagram, you will see that dimming light circuit has many components. Any one of which could have a short that is blowing the fuse. As well as wiring to these components.

And unfortunately many of the components and their wiring is under or through the dash.

If I were trying to find the short, I would start by eliminating the load, one at a time. The load being the individual light bulbs. Remove a bulb, see if fuse quits blowing. If no, replace bulb and go to next light of circuit. Hopefully you will remove a bulb and fuse will no longer blow.

You have now found the branch of the circuit that has the short. Next see if short is in bulb holder, wiring, or connectors of that part of circuit. Replace bad part or wire that you find.

But don't forget about the alarm. If it's sharing the dimming light circuit fuse, it could be overloading the circuit or have a short in it or it's wiring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts