Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started my trans am project car after 20 plus years in a garage(better than the meadow) and have it running now - not moving but running-it’s a start
the interior of my car 1979 was originally brown but someone wanted it black and it looks like spray paint was used
can I clean this up or repaint ? Door interior a little rough so probably will purchase new panels ,carpet and headliner at least but wondering about the rest of it

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It depends how they've done it and how badly they've done it. It can be cleaned up a certain extent, but anything that removes older sprays will also remove surface textures and affect the material it is on. Hard surfaces can be sprayed over but again, it's hard to sand back and not lose detail if the paint is thick and will need more coats to go back to a lighter colour. Dyes on materials tend to soak in rather than be on the surface so that's them done. You can often go darker to save them, if black already, then they are black. Some interior plastic parts that need repainting can have areas of overspray tested with thinners on a rag to see what will wipe off but heavier areas allow to dry between wiping or it can give time to soften and allow the rag texture to stick instead. Easy to test on parts you are likely to replace anyway as already junk. Not all parts or trim versions are reproduced, and not all that are are good quality. So compare what you have each time to what you want or need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a few chores on the wife’s wish list and I ended up getting this car and the interior is all she’ll see (ha ha) it’ll never be a show car but that 400 firing up when I touch the key makes working a little more worth it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts