Firebird Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Yeah, you're right, That ain't much to go on.

I see a pre-'69 8-bolt water pump, a Performer 2156 alum intake and a '70-'74 Pontiac Q-jet, with the big "smokestack" vent.

You need the block casting number off the pad below the rear of the passenger side head, and the 2 letter code which is just below the front of the passenger side head. Might also help to have the 4-digit date code, which is back beside the dist hole. :smile22:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
i dont have access to those details. Is it possible this could be a 68 block?
Sure, it could be almost any size, above a 301. Could be 326, 350, 389, 400, 421, 428, or a 455, Hey, if they have the later model heads on top, they all look pretty much the same, on the outside. It's the ID numbers and letters, plus a few other details, that reveal the year cast, model year it was used in, and what came inside the block. :yes

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
After looking at those pics again I also noticed the solid 7-Blade mechanical fan. Not sure what those came on. I think most of the late '60's Birds and Goats either had flex blade fans or clutch type fans. Not sure. ?

Most of the non-Ram Air '68 & '69 400 blocks were casting number 9790071.

According to several of the Pontiac engine ID sites, a '68 330hp 4-barrel 400 which came with a TH400 auto trans had a 2-letter code of YT. This was probably the most common 400 engine which came in a '68 Bird.

But, after all these years, who knows what could be in it ? :(

I also did a little more investigating and discovered that the Pontiac Q-jets did not start having the side mounted hot air chokes til '73. So, if that info is correct, the carb in your pics looks to be either a '73 or '74. Not positive.

Here's the pics of a '73. Looks the same to me. How about ya'll ?

Attachments

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Also appears to have an HEI dizzy in it.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Yeah, but the main reason I think that at least the block is '68 or earlier is the 8-bolt timing cover and water pump. Don't think many guys would replace the later model 11-bolt cover/pump with the earlier 8-bolt cover/pump-- unless they did it so they could use the earlier pulleys and stuff.

But, lots of guys have swapped the points dist for an HEI, a later carb for an earlier one, later heads for earlier ones, and an alum intake for an iron one.

But, as said, the only way to ID it for sure is with the casting #, block code, and date code.

Also, the partial VIN off the front of the block, down by the timing cover, will tell if it is the original block that came in the car. :smile22:

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Much thanks for all the help. I think I am going to buy this bird. Will make a nice father son project. Needs a full floor I think.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Much thanks for all the help. I think I am going to buy this bird. Will make a nice father son project. Needs a full floor I think.
I just noticed that you listed the Bird with a manual trans. I gave you the block code for a 330hp with auto trans. The code for a '68 330hp 400 with manual trans looks to be WZ, if the online info I looked at is correct. :smile22:

http://www.classicalpontiac.com/cgi-bin/cp/global/engine.cgi

http://www.pontiacpower.net/numbers/engine-codes/

A nice '68 Bird ragtop is worth a few bucks nowadays. But there was a time when they were just old wore out used cars. I bought 1 dirt cheap, back in '75. Don't remember exactly, but I think I gave less than $500 for it--probably about $350. Then made a race car out of it. :smile22: NO, I wouldn't think of doing such a thing today. :no But it was a different world, back then. :yes

Attachments

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting looking rocket there. I bet you felt the twist when you got into the fuel !

I talked it over with mission control and decided to buy this bird. Will take the long trip to pic it up early this week. I will post pics as I get it home. My son seems excited. We will see how long that lasts once the work begins.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts