Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The build sticker on door has ws6 but it can be faked, I guess---just noticed evey photo Ive seen of WS6 has a raised rear valance spoiler with for posts...mine is just trhe molded rear like my other 2002 and 2001 stock 3.8s---Did WS6 come both ways? ALso, thr sway bars dont look any larger than my stocker 3.8s ANd, the is no ram air sticker or anything on the hood. Have I been screwed?

·
Administrator
2,390 Posts
ALL CONVERTIBLES have the base model/Formula wing. Only hard top/t-top Trans Am's get the raised wing. I think it's stupid on the T/A, but, its what they did. Very doubtful you've been cheated. I can understand the sway bar concern. ...use a pair of calipers or something to measure them. ...they could be the same, especially if you have the Y87 optioned v6, or there might be an 1/8th inch difference you likely wouldn't "see" unless your eyes were trained to such tolerances. I know back in the day the beefier sway bar was obviously much larger than a base model, but, times changed. These 'birds "at full tilt" in a corner don't even have 1/2 the suspension travel something like a 2nd gen did at half the speed.

VIN tag only tells you it's a V8. Could be Formula or Trans Am. The options tag tells the rest.

If you got a V8 code in the VIN, think it's a P, you got a V8, 155mph speedo, ram air hood, and ws6 on the tag... i wouldn't question it.

Hood / front clip could have been repainted, owner could have removed the stickers. ...who knows. I completely debadged my T/A and removed the ground effects almost 2 decades ago. It's still a Trans Am, and certainly no less bad-ass. Right?

I think you're good.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ALL CONVERTIBLES have the base model/Formula wing. Only hard top/t-top Trans Am's get the raised wing. I think it's stupid on the T/A, but, its what they did. Very doubtful you've been cheated. I can understand the sway bar concern. ...use a pair of calipers or something to measure them. ...they could be the same, especially if you have the Y87 optioned v6, or there might be an 1/8th inch difference you likely wouldn't "see" unless your eyes were trained to such tolerances. I know back in the day the beefier sway bar was obviously much larger than a base model, but, times changed. These 'birds "at full tilt" in a corner don't even have 1/2 the suspension travel something like a 2nd gen did at half the speed.

VIN tag only tells you it's a V8. Could be Formula or Trans Am. The options tag tells the rest.

If you got a V8 code in the VIN, think it's a P, you got a V8, 155mph speedo, ram air hood, and ws6 on the tag... i wouldn't question it.

Hood / front clip could have been repainted, owner could have removed the stickers. ...who knows. I completely debadged my T/A and removed the ground effects almost 2 decades ago. It's still a Trans Am, and certainly no less bad-ass. Right?

I think you're good.
Thanks, its an aluminum block V8--I can tell that, and it has a ws6 on the right rear but that s a glue on. Hood paint looks original. I thought all ws6 cars had a decal stripe with that or a ram air decal on the hood scoops. Maybe not-- checked and the rear bar is the same as the one on my 2002 3.8 stocker. I thought these things got beefer springs and better bars??

·
Administrator
2,390 Posts
I honestly can't speak to suspension. I assume the same as you though. All I can find on the matter is this quote for year 2000 models, "WS6 cars got less suspension upgrades from a base Trans Am suspension than previous years.". So, there's that. Also, if you're comparing to a 98+ v6, they might be the same. I'm nearly certain after 97 the v6 got v8 brakes, maybe suspension too. ...or, maybe its a "convertible thing". Sorry, no help, I know.

Really though, even if it wasn't a true WS6, which I would bet it is, you still got it at a very VERY good price for a Formula or Trans Am.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,070 Posts
"Only hard top/t-top Trans Am's get the raised wing. I think it's stupid on the T/A, but, its what they did. "

Are you kidding? It's the right way to go, not stupid at all. Keep your wimpy wing to yourself ;-)

As for the suspension, most WS6 got the standard heavy duty suspension. But these cars were often special order. I would have opted for the lighter suspension myself if possible. I don't want to be driving a dump truck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have mixed feelings about the bigger wing. Id like to have the fin from a 69 camaro on it lol Maybe put the two chrome grills in the middle of the hood like the 69 ralley sport with those hideaway lamps. Ahhh Im gettin old. NOTHING compares to a 69 TA .

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,070 Posts
My 70 Formula had one of those wimpy wings that covered a lot of the trunk lid. Water got under it and rusted the lid a lot. So not a fan of those duck tails.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,258 Posts
”P” engine code in the VIN only applies to 93-97 LT1 V8, The LS1 V8 engine code (98-02) is “G”.

I always thought the “high rise” spoiler on the T/A was overkill. Maybe that's why it was optional in 93/94. When I was shopping for a brand new 94 Firebird, the M6 cars were impossible to find. I almost bought a Camaro Z28 M6, but dealer pulled a bait and switch on my trade. After looking for 6 months I found a pair of M6 cars that had just come off the truck, in a dealership in Pasadena CA. Had the choice of:

Formula, dark green metallic, T-tops, gray cloth interior

T/A, bright blue metallic, no T-tops, gray leather.

Picked the Formula:
  • cleaner styling…. more “mature” for an “older” buyer. Didn’t want the high spoiler.
  • always wanted T-tops
  • preferred cloth over leather in the blazing Southern California sunshine
  • could live with the green, although the bright blue was very tempting.

Reactions: GaryDoug

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,070 Posts
Fred and I are opposites I guess. I may be 8 years younger ;-) But I love the big spoiler as opposed to the little spoiler. I love my 98; when I looked at it after I got it home...I said to myself, Jesus.. this is a #[email protected]%ing batmobile...wohoo ;-) Explitive deleted. I was hooked once again on Firebirds. T-tops rule. I drive it to this day (actually today), me and old Wife love it. I had to get "Ferrari" Red! When in 98 I told my coworkers I was buying a new Trans Am, my future wife said to herself..."If he comes back with a red one, his ass is mine!". You have to love what you drive...otherwise, what's the point?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts