Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was not even looking for one, but I stumbled into a real nice car. I found a 2000 T/A with 59,000 on it. Very nice shape.

So, in dealing on the car, I took it for a test drive. This has one thing that neither one of our other cars has. This car is a six speed. If you run the rpm up in first long enough, it will ask you to "skip-shift".

It seems like that there is a "lock" in the shift gate. It won't let you shift into second. It wants you to go to third. Being I was just test driving the car, I did not want to beat it. I am wondering, does this thing know if you are getting after it, will it let you grab second? Is this just a safety feature?

Thanks!

Brent

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,830 Posts
Skip-Shift is for fuel economy. Nothing more. ...Can be disabled via a plug in module.

...and yes, it knows you're getting on it. ...it's called a Throttle Position Sensor. All computerized cars have them. :)

A 2000 might even log the last few seconds of data so if you kill someone (or yourself) they will know exactly how fast you were going, what % of throttle you were at, if you used the brakes at all, etc...

If you really want to squeeze out the economy. Forget 1,3,4,5. My old LT1 has zero issues going from 1 to 6, or 2 to 6. ...My first is some what like a granny-gear as well. It's really not needed at all, but, it can get my car up to 50 in a blink if I'm willing to red-line for a moment. 1st is *fun*.

Before E10 was the standard, I was pulling 24mpg city driving with only 2nd and 6th, now, 18 is the best I can pull. I'll also note that even with only those two gears I could still smoke traffic off the line. It doesn't take 2nd but a moment to hit it's sweet spot and begin pulling just as hard as if you shifted into it from 1st.

6-speed T/A's are beyond fun. They were Super Cars in their own right. ...but, since GM couldn't admit (or allow anyone to publish the fact) they built a Corvette killer for 1/2 the price, the world never and still doesn't know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess where my questions lies.......

If you run it up to lets say 2000 rpm in first. It wants you to skip shift.

If you were to run it up to 5000 rpm, will it still ask you to skip shift, or does it know that you are getting after it?

Both of our other cars must have been disabled before I ever got a hold of them.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,830 Posts
My '93 didn't come with skip-shift. All I can tell you about the system is that it is called CAGS (computer aided gear selection). Maybe that will help you research it. I would assume that at wide-open-throttle, CAGS would be disabled, but, for all I know, it would force 6th. Never heard of anyone who liked CAGS. ...not once. If I'm in the mood to skip a gear, *I will*, at a time of my choosing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sle-21008?seid=srese1&gclid=CNnlh4qz0sgCFcEXHwodpvYP4A

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one on order. I did some research. Yeah, I would have to agree. It is VERY annoying to say the least.

I pulled the trigger on the car. Really clean, low mileage survivor.

Time to put an addition onto the shop!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.