Firebird Nation banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok, so I'm here to follow up with my results. I pulled everything apart, and pulled the passenger seat out for more room. Pulled everything apart, as well as pulled out the blower fan to clean debris out. Not too much in the blower motor though, which is good. I took a look at the flapper door when I turned the knob. I could see it move, and hear it close... Crap: Nothing wrong with the flapper door. So I started to put it all back together, but something told me to try once more with a mirror or something to see behind it. sure enough, there was something like a rats nest behind it keeping it from closing all the way. YAY! Now she closes all the way! There were only two 5.5 MM screws holding the cover on,for anyone's future reference. It was 10x easier with the front seat removed by the way. Thanks Gary for the help!

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
To keep away the critters, I have taken to sprinkling around some Cayenne (Red) pepper under-hood. I had evidence of squirrel activity in the engine compartment; no more, now that the pepper is there. Probably wouldn't be good to put it in the vents of course, unless you are into burning red eyes.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Lol, I should do something like that. There's no evidence in the engine, just inside. I guess the car was sitting somewhere for a bit.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I don't see how anything can get in there. Its sealed up pretty tight. But what baffled me is they didn't die in there from the heat of the heater core. That would smell lovely.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,357 Posts
Are you specifically asking about the cable operated ”temperature” flapper, or on or more of the vacuum operated flappers?

See Shoebox's diagram:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you specifically asking about the cable operated ”temperature” flapper, or on or more of the vacuum operated flappers?

I guess I'm referring to the physical cable that moves the flapper when you turn the temperature control from red to blue [hot/cold]. The flapper door remains frozen in it's position, thus the HVAC is always blowing the hottest air.

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
What year is your car? I think the 4th Gens are all the same, but perhaps I could give you a reference in the correct year factory service manual.

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts

21 - 32 of 32 Posts