Firebird Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Firebird LT1 Auto
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have an 1986 that has a howling sound that appears to be coming from my right front. The sound is similar to a mud tire howl on highway for reference. I assume it is a bearing because it gets better when turning right. I lifted the front left and right wheel and the bearings do not have any play and don’t appear to be making any obvious noises when rotating by hand. I’m also thinking maybe rear Axel bearings but I when jack the back up, there is no obvious noise or play there either.

Any suggestions on what this could be? any troubleshooting advice is greatly appreciated!

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
2,093 Posts
Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope?

·
DELCO NERD
2,093 Posts
Try spinning the wheel and placing the probe against a stationery part of the bearing, if you can. You may be able to use the steering knuckle if the bearing is inaccessible. You should be able to hear noise through the stethoscope if the bearing is bad.

·
Registered
1995 Firebird LT1 Auto
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try spinning the wheel and placing the probe against a stationery part of the bearing, if you can. You may be able to use the steering knuckle if the bearing is inaccessible. You should be able to hear noise through the stethoscope if the bearing is bad.
Thanks I’ll try that to see. have replaced the bearings not long ago but maybe I messed something up or I had a bad bearing. For the sake of what it’s worth, I may as well just replace them again anyway, the front bearings are cheap and not a very difficult project.

·
Administrator
15,264 Posts
Maybe your problem arises from buying “cheap” hub/bearing/sensor assemblies.

·
DELCO NERD
2,093 Posts
Did you pack the new bearings with enough grease and replace the wheel seals? Perhaps you overtightened the spindle nut? You said there was no play in the front wheel, but a little wheel-end play is normal with a conical bearing.

On a side note, Lisle makes a really nice bearing packer called the Handy Packer, part number 34550. 😀

·
Registered
1995 Firebird LT1 Auto
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you pack the new bearings with enough grease and replace the wheel seals? Perhaps you overtightened the spindle nut? You said there was no play in the front wheel, but a little wheel-end play is normal with a conical bearing.

On a side note, Lisle makes a really nice bearing packer called the Handy Packer, part number 34550. 😀
Replaced bearings and it fixed the problem. So I packed the new ones well, installed new rotors with races while I was at it. How I did spindle nut was tighten slightly past hand tight to seat everything, then backed off nut, turned wheel while tightening nut to hand tight, then tightened slightly with a wrench to next slot for cotter pin. To tighten or back off seems to be debatable and has about a 50/50 opinion in the google world. I opted to tighten nut as opposed to backing off. So far so good!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts