Firebird Nation banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
15,796 Posts

·
Administrator
15,796 Posts
in my experience a very specific tech issue will get more attention if you start a new thread for that topic. Posting them in the “Second Generation….” forum is still a good idea. Seems like the “Generation“ forums get better attention, and the people that take the time to read it are most likely best equipped to help.

The key is using a clearly written topic for the new thread, and making sure you include the relevant info about your car's specifics in the post. If you add a new problem to the existing build thread, it tends to get buried as the thread grows in length, and for people that do read the problem post it can be daunting to go back and read through the build thread to find the relevant info.

To be clear - there are few rules or regulations about where or how to post. Post a specific topic only once, not on multiple forums. Keep the language PG-13. But most of it is common sense. The above just represents my thoughts on the most effective way to get help.

Reactions: GaryDoug and Mufasa

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
3,134 Posts
in my experience a very specific tech issue will get more attention if you start a new thread for that topic. ... The key is using a clearly written topic for the new thread, and making sure you include the relevant info about your car's specifics in the post. If you add a new problem to the existing build thread, it tends to get buried as the thread grows in length, and for people that do read the problem post it can be daunting to go back and read through the build thread to find the relevant info.

What he said. As a matter of fact, take this opportunity to go into your profile and add your engine size and transmission after "1978 Trans Am" in Vehicle Details.

Look under Injuneer's avatar above, you will see "1994 Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400". If he were to post about a transmission problem he was having, we know instantly that he has a modified LT1 with a TH400, not a stock LT1 with the 4l60. Without this information up front two things are going to happen. Someone will ask WHAT the exact powertrain involved is, and someone else will answer based on the 4l60 transmission that was installed at the factory. Wasted effort and broken assumptions are no way to begin a topic.

My vehicle info is simply "1993 6-spd T/A". Believe it or not, all relevant information is there. Year is important because there are usually differences through the years. Even though there was a 5-spd option on the v6 cars, only the 6-spd manual was available in Formula/Trans Am. Listing the 6-spd states it's not the automatic 4l60. As it's a Trans Am, and only one engine was offered, the LT1. Since mine is stock, it doesn't need mentioned there is an LT1 under the hood.

In your case though, there are several engine/transmission combinations regardless of model. Addressing the year T/A and Powertrain combination you have in Vehicle Details not only gets that information to us right away and saves a couple hours/days of "back and forth" and "incorrect information", it saves you repeating yourself every time you post.

Build threads are awesome to follow and a great way to document your journey, emotion, and progress along the way. As Injuneer points out, they do tend to get quite long and it can be/is a real PITA to go back through hundreds of posts to gather historical information on a current issue.

Discussing pros and cons of various tire sizes or paint/interior colors in a build thread is one thing, troubleshooting a random misfire is another. If it's a technical issue, give it it's own topic in the appropriate 2nd generation sub-forum.

I like your idea of having an overall build thread and linking the technical discussions within. That works well for everyone involved. I don't think anyone has done that, at least not consistently, but it should be the standard MO. Great idea! ...so do that. Actually, link your build thread in your signature too, then you won't have to link to it in future Technical posts.

Reactions: Mufasa

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,203 Posts
Mufasa.....have you been here before ... maybe years ago? Your intro sounds very familiar. Not a problem though, you are very welcome either way.

·
Registered
1978 Trans Am - 400 - TH350 - 3.23 - Y82 - WS6
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Mufasa.....have you been here before ... maybe years ago? Your intro sounds very familiar. Not a problem though, you are very welcome either way.
Highly doubt it... unless your talking 10+ years ago? even then it wouldn't be same story or place. However, I used to love browsing and eventually joining thinking I had some worth while to contribute (I didn't). The closest forum I was "active" in was ThirdGen.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,203 Posts
OK now I now where I have "heard' you before.

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
2,118 Posts
A belated welcome to Firebird Nation, and thank you for your service. 🫡🇺🇲

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
5,444 Posts
As far as etiquette - we are pretty laid back here. Most of the admin staff have been on this forum for more than 10 years. We've seen lots of people and questions.

Trying to cover all engine/interior/suspension/exhaust/etc questions over 36 years of vehicles is hard, because each generation is so different. If a question is specific to a generation, I try to keep them under the Generation sections. If a questions is truly generic (not year specific), then I'll put them under engine/interior/suspension/exhaust/etc sections.

I recommended starting a single tread in the 2nd Gen showroom to keep all your updates, photos & questions all in 1 location. The reason I suggested that is if someone is looking at doing a build similar to yours, they can read the 1 thread to see your progress and follow the questions you ask, in case they run into similar issues. Also seeing someone's progress can help motivate people to work on their own projects.

We do have a pretty good search feature with this software (compared to previous versions). Also if we find posts that answer questions that are useful to the masses, the admins will create a link to it in the Tech Articles, Master Indexes.

If I run out of things to do, I will try to rearrange our 600k posts differently. But so far I haven't gotten there. I've been busy with our 5 birds, daily drivers, boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts