Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Didn't post much besides my introduction because I try to resolve things by myself with the great help of this forum, and as things go I'll probably post later on on other matters (I.e how to wire the damn tach as the wires have been removed)...

Long story short, I'm talking about a 1976 Firebird Esprit with the formula wheel. The horn is not working.

-> hot wired the two horns, they work.
-> changed the relay, doesn't work.

At this point I just created an extension cord for the relay, plugged the two big wires from the connector to the relay, and left the green (I believe ground) empty on the car, but made the wire from the relay connect to a ground and BOOM, horns blew.

There is continuity on the green wire from the steering wheel plug to the relay plug.

Now I'm left with only the horn button as a possibility... But can't find anyone who's had the same issue.

Where is the ground supposed to be happening? Through the two bolts that hold the whole steering column under the dash?

Any other ideas? I tried to remove the steering wheel without success, I got stuck at pulling it out (will need a puller...)

Thanks a lot for your insights :)

François

Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Machine Bicycle part

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Cylinder Audio equipment

Hand Light Finger Gesture Thumb

·
Registered
899 Posts
Is the horn ring contacting the spring with pin? They come at a size where you cut to length.
I'll shoot a diagram when home, remind me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you @JOE68 , that's what I supposed. But where is the ground? Through the whole steering column and its bolts to the body?

@Aus78Formula , I believe the contact is made between the horn ring and the pin because I could push quite far the pin you see on top left of inside the steering wheel hub, I also tried to run a wire between it (While pushing it) and the center bolt holding the wheel to the column.

What do you mean by I didn't try that it complete?

Thanks a lot for your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The horn cap itself only clips onto the plastic, it has no effect on the horn working or making contact.
The base model wheel uses a contact in the button cover but not the sports Formula wheel.

Lucky you to have it working :)

Thank you for the video, mine didn't do anything when pressed, this is why I wonder whether it's the metal plate pushed by the plastic, the little pin than can be pushed on my picture of inside the steering wheel, or the ground itself.

I tried to ground the little pin without success, maybe removing the steering wheel will help me out.

I'll try to play again with the cables and see if this changes anything...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts