Firebird Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Need some help, I should be able to figure this out but thought I would check with you guys before I do it wrong. Put new hood hinges on this weekend and working on aligning the hood. The gap on the drivers side is right at 1/8 inch while the hood to fender gap on the passenger side is about 5/16. Can't quite figure out how to move the hood left to right other than putting a spacer behind the hinge. Also curious when I get the front of the hood down it lifts in the rear. Right now I have the hinges bolted on in the lowest setting. Any advice would be helpful

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Chris,

The fenders should have tapered rubber snubbers on them that force the hood to center between the fenders. Also, there is a small amount of right/left plate in the slots that bolt the hood to the hinge. Another option is to have help and while the hood is open all the way, push the hood in the direction you want to go a few times "tweaking" the hinges just a tad.

However, the snubbers should do the trick given the hood has inward bevels on both side edges.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx Key, I'll take a look at it this weekend. I have the rubber snubbers on each side but something isn't quite right. Curious the rear of the hood sits high when shut. To fix this does the hinge actually go up or down

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
if the hood is sitting too high in the back, then lower it via the rearward bolts holding the hing to the fender. Only a small amount though 1/8" max. After this if the hood is not sitting flush with the fender at the area in front of the hinge, then lower the hinge maybe 1/16" with the front bolt on the hinge. Small amounts of hinge adjustment provide quite a bit of hood level adjustment. Without help, it can be very frustrating getting the hood to move in tiny amounts due to the weight. At times you will find your self moving too far "whoops" and nearly having to start over.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx key, that's what I wax thinking. I've got the hinge as Lowe as it will go on both front and rear but hood still sirs about 1/4 high. Not sure what to do with it at this point other than elongate the travel holes in the hinge to give it more adjustment

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Can you push the hood down by hand and make it level with fender? Maybe its hitting something in the engine bay. Air breather?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had seen a write up in here on adjusting the panels, doors and fenders on your firebird. I scanned it over but remember that something was in there about the back of the hood sitting high and how to correct it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I am having similar issues. Did we find the write up for adjusting doors and fenders for 3rd gen firebird? I just changed new fenders and hood hinges... Joe

·
Registered
636 Posts
What year first gen,I have found the 69s are the worst to adjust.Is the hood a factory or a aftermarket.My aftermarket on my 69 has been a huge PITA since installed.Have never been able to get it perfect.Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts