Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Key off, engine off, with no loads i have power back draining the battery.

So far, if I take the red wire off the positive side of the battery, draw goes away. This is the red wire going to the junction box, was removed for some reason.

Following this wire, it goes to a factory "splice connector" with 4 wires coming out;

One goes to the horn relay. Disconnect, no change.

One goes to a little relay on the firewall which has a wire from it going to the alternator. ( One wire set up) Disconnect this and no change.

One wire is black and has a fuse able link. This wire goes into the firewall.

One wire is red and goes into the fire wall.

So, one of the last two wires are the source of the draw.

Then, when i unplug the instrument cluster connector, the draw goes away. This is behind the speedo housing with the printed circuit board. Then one by one, i disconnected each wire from the connector and found that the draw goes away when i pull the white wire from terminal 11, which is the amp wire. Following this wire, it goes behind the fuse box.

Now what???

How do i find why this is happening?

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
When you say amp wire, do you mean the wire that supplies amp gauge? If yes, I would say either the amp gauge itself or the printed circuit is where your short is.

Or the white wire and any connector it goes through could be the place where short is.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so on the back of the cluster, there was a resister connected to the amp gauge which i disconnected and the draw went away. Now i will test the charging system to make sure everything is okay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts