Firebird Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again and welcome to today's list of problems ;p

So i have this new to me 77 firebird that has been modified unfortunately.

here is electrical issues holding me up from getting on the road in the spring; (there's more including no windshield wash, coolant overflow, heatercore bypassed, reverse lights, parking brake but this is just about electrical right now)

heater fan doesnt do anything on any setting (heater core is bypassed but that's another topic)

back up lights dont work, and that is due to a B&M shifter being installed with no switch to make up for it, which ill attempt another day.

today specifically i'm trying to figure out what's happening with this blower fan and what these wires and harnesses may be.

i took out glove box and took a look, here is that i have

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Automotive tire Auto part

in dash looking from glove box

Hood Automotive tire Electrical wiring Bumper Fender

these blue, and black wires are cut shortly after their connecter, any idea what they are for?

Automotive lighting Finger Electrical wiring Thumb Automotive tire

This harness is just hanging out free, there is a couple wires cut off it

Any idea what these are for?

the top of the heater box has a few wires in it but none show live on tester and i cant see where they goto ,

I have checked fuses

Thanks for your time

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Great got heater fan working on all speeds suprisingly, I decided to pull the dash bezel and just like that the wire harness for the switch was tucked up behind. Now I Need to find out why horn doesn't work and find which wires run to reverse light so I can get an adapted switch to activate them.

Does anyone know the color of the reverse light wires? And what that larger harness is for? And the blue one

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so i'm trying to get the reverse light wiring set up so I can install a switch to activate back up lights.

note: they installed a b&m shifter, removed the linkage to the column. and they wired in a "push to start" button to activate starter. key still needs to be in to run.

so after looking at the wiring diagrams if i was looking correctly, it seemed to me i could unplug the PINK and the GREEN wire clip from the bottom of the steering column switch and if you were to jump those two, you should have reverse lights, right?

When the ignition is on, my pink wire is hot.

i jumped the two, but no back up lights!

here is the plug:

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Auto part Bicycle part

which i took out of this white switch on the bottom of the column:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Auto part

BUT when I look at the reverse lights in the trunk, the Green looks like a differn't shade of green, and the ground seems to look good. bulbs are good too.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread

Does anyone have any idea? am I jumping the correct wires?

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Loose wires in both sockets. Now the next mystery is why the windshield wash is always hot but won't run the motor .

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,038 Posts
Depending which shifter you have you can buy switches from B&M that mount to your shifter and operate neutral safety as well as reverse lights.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I did order the switch already it's coming for monday.

I can't figure out this windshield wash, it's supposed to be hot while key is on, which it is, and when wash button is pressed it provides the ground connection, which is what I'm missing. But the wipers work! I can't find the spot where the ground branches off to wash motor from here, unless the push to wash portion of the switch is faulty , any ideas?

Also the passenger front marker lights stopped working, but do work when turn signal applied. Checking schematic looks like a single brown wire loose should probably be the cause, will update tomorrow

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I hope you got 2 switches AND the long thin screws and nuts that hold them in place.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope you got 2 switches AND the long thin screws and nuts that hold them in place.
Not sure about the screws , I only ordered the one switch for now because the neutral safety is by passed with a push to start switch that cranks even with key off.
Have you tested the washer motor itself. It's rare to find one on a 37 year old car that works.
I did, it's sick and needs to be replaced but turns

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The switches stack on top of each other. I forget whether reverse or neutral safety is on top but you may need to make a spacer if you don't run both switches.

The14Carinterior023.jpg

WheelNutzshifteranddash003.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahhhh yes I can see mine is different than yours but the bottom is the neutral safety and the top is reverselight switch because there's one notch on top and two on bottom. looks like ill have to raise it a bit for now.

Hood Automotive lighting Audio equipment Bumper Electrical wiring

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts