Firebird Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,i have a 78 with disc front, 10 bolt rear, my drivers side rear drum brake keeps locking up, ive renewed the shoes drums springs etc, ive tryed bleeding front to rear / rear to front, furtherest to nearest, near to far, adjusted in & out, swaped drums over, im 99% sure i havent mixed up trailing & leading shoes as they seemed to only go on 1 way, i did 1 at a time when swaping everything over, & copyed another car i had at the time, i put new park brake cables in which is how it all started, i dont remember it locking up b4 i did the new parts, ive googled & u-tubed as much as i can but am at a loss to sort it. if any1 has sum tricks to try PLEASE let me know. Thanx in advance! its my last hurdle to get her road legal!

·
Registered
476 Posts
The shorter shoe goes in front. Did you change out the wheel cylinders too? That could be sticking. Also, the brake hose could be collapsed inside, letting fluid in, but not out. Does the Emergency brake work as it should? Check for cable travel on each side.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, got right shoes in right places, no i didnt change wheel cylinders but ive checked them for leaks & operation & the left seems to work as good & the same as right. The park brake works really well & i have tryed to back it off as well as tighten more but no change, ive also been driving car for 12months nearly so figure the shoes should be worn in enuff. going to try & campher them a little 2day, see if that helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i ground down as much as i dared on the shoes where it appeared they were making contact but still no change, although it now takes a really good slam on them to make it lock up.... think ill try a brake shop! hopefully 1 thats familiar with good old girls... pretty rare round these parts but ill try further afield if no joy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went for 50km drive last night & 2day seems to be behaving! no lock up at this stage & everything working as it should , eventually when $ allow would love to get a decent brake kit for car, front & rear disc set up, any1 got sum sugestions? recommend anything, ive looked at Classic Ind & NPD , just have to factor in freight & $ rate but want best bang for buck for a daily driver/cruiser. Thanx

·
Registered
56 Posts
Terry, NPD is definitely good for parts. I find Classic Industries is too expensive for most things. Also try Jegs or Summit Racing. Summit has much in the way of brake kits (their own Summit brand) and they ship free for all orders over $100 (for USA at least). They also sell direct fit Right Stuff swap kits and also Wilwood and SSBC, but that's higher end stuff. You could spend anywhere from $350-750 on a good rear disc upgrade kit.

·
Administrator
2,465 Posts
Summit has much in the way of brake kits (their own Summit brand) and they ship free for all orders over $100 (for USA at least).
If you don't find it in the Summit catalog or on the website, call Summit directly and ask. When I ordered my OptiSpark I was told the website and catalog only contain some of their inventory and they have so much more in stock that nobody except them can see.

...just thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SOLVED!!! Thanx for the support & tips for brake prob, went threw its test 2day fine so am a legal eagle at last! great feeling & all i did last nite was a rebleed & it seems to have stoped from locking up! weather that was the cure ill never know but am happy she behaved while getting tested. Now its time to clock up sum miles,smiles & car shows! will fit New brake set up & better exhaust over winter( July-Aug here) & get her ready for the nxt summer season! Cheers all. another bird on the road, althow NZ roads that is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts