Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just bought my first ever Firebird (and first ever American car). Being a child of the 70s a Rockford was always the dream, so have finally scratched a 40 year itch.

24035151695_7a9719518e_b.jpg

Nice original Firebirds are very rare over here thanks to rust and bad customising in the 70s and 80s. This one came over as an import from SF last year and had one mature lady owner for all but the last couple of years. She's still around aged 95 years young, and I keep her up to date with the restoration. Unfortunately that hasn't amounted to much lately due to a) constant rain since I bought her and b) another needy classic in the garage with an engine on the floor and a target date for completion.

Plan is to get really stuck in during the spring/summer with a full respray and a retrim if there is enough money left over (the interior is a bit cooked). Thing is I'd always wanted a gold Rockford lookalike but have been taken by the 70s appeal of the Chesterfield brown (it's had one shockingly poor repaint so I'm not messing with originality here). So it's 50/50 gold or brown at the moment.

It's also got the base interior when I really wanted the deluxe. I'll have a think on whether to upgrade,; as mentioned used parts are thin on the ground over here and shipping stuff over expensive (even when US firms agree to do so, which they often don't).

Hope you won't mind my endless questions, a lot to learn and I want to know it all tomorrow, you know what it's like.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mark. Nice car, I like the Rockford files also. Also a fan of the movie American Beauty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah reached that stage in life, many things ring true. Though I haven't started fantasizing about my daughter's friends...yet. :whistle:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Welcome to FBN Mark have fun.

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
Great to have you here and congrats on the new car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts