Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1976,Firebird,Formula, 350 Engine,350 Trans.
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting my Formula back together,slowly it seems. Just about done with the sound bearer heat matt install then in with the carpet.
Question on a shut off valve going to the heater core. Does it need to be a bypass valve or can i just shut it off ? My car never had air conditioning and I am planning on making the car a runner in the summer. When they spread the salt i am done.

·
Registered
1976,Firebird,Formula, 350 Engine,350 Trans.
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Didn't know if shutting off this flow added to the overheating i have read about. This car never came close to overheating. I just want to do everything i can to help with the heat come summer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Didn't know if shutting off this flow added to the overheating i have read about. This car never came close to overheating. I just want to do everything i can to help with the heat come summer.
Yes you can block it. If I were going to do that in the summer, I’d probably remove the heater hoses and put in a small bypass hose..

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Most GM-type heater taps still allow a trickle though rather than completely shut, keeps a clean flow of coolant to all areas, just far less. Not an amount that would give off excessive heat in an already hot cabin though. Easy to add one which operates straight off a vacuum port, to open or two close, plug it in when driving in Winter, unplug for rest of year etc, or other way around, recap and vacuum ports. That would be the easiest way while still maintaining the option of heating, or some install a complete hose tap hidden and turn on and off as needed.

·
Administrator
15,101 Posts
Whatscooking:

I've deleted your post responding to "ngovuhang" because that member's post is of suspicious origin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.