Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have made a tame attempt to spray WD-40 in the heart of the turn signal /high/low beam without positive results.

Maybe you have to dismantle a few things around (scary).
So, I can't switch to high/low beam at all. It does not "click in", so to speak.
And the turn signal craves pretty much force to get to, with the fear of the lever breaking.

I've seen that there are more people then me that have experienced this.
But I haven't seen any easy workaround yet (Scary again)

I have a spray with teflonliquid. Give a try?

Or does anybody have a go at all with spray?

Thanks for any hint.

Regards // Ove

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,830 Posts
make a C with your right hands thumb and pointer finger. face it away from you. Now, rotate your arm left and right. Now, return your C to the vertical position. ...that is your blinkers. Now, make a C with other hands pointer and thumb, touch the tips of the C together so that they form a right angle and move that C towards and away from you. ...that is your high beams. ...and that is how the mechanism works.

...if lubricating the mechanism didn't help, sounds like the mechanism is broke.

Mine is broken, I purchased a used column to pull the part from, but, the airbags clockspring (coil of ribbon cable) has to be removed and that stopped me in my tracks. I'm not afraid to turn a wrench, but when it comes to airbags, I don't bother. I'm sure the Factory Service Manual can instruct you on the proper proceedure, truthfully, I haven't looked. I started and quit my project long before I was aware of the FSM. I just finished my move and uncovered the used column, maybe I'll get back on this myself.

Good luck.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,084 Posts
Let's back up a bit and check something. Remove the driver side knee bolster panel under the steering column (usually 4 fasteners). Watch the dimmer switch actuator rod while you move the dimmer lever up and down. If it moves (maybe 10mm normally), then the problem is with the dimmer switch itself. The switch is what makes the clicking sound and what toggles between the high beam position and the low beam position. All the rod does is push down when the lever is lifted. If the rod does not move enough, then the problem is with the actuator parts themselves in the steering column. The photo is of a 98 and your car may be slightly different.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,413 Posts
The stalk on the steering column only makes the steel rod move. The actual headlight change over switch is screwed to steering column, under the dash. In GaryDoug's pic, it's where those cluster of wires are, further down the column. Follow the rod to find the switch. Sometimes the switch adjustment needs to be corrected. You loosen the hold down screws and then move the whole switch assembly.

As long as stalk on steering column moves the rod the proper distance, if change over from low to high beam isn't happening, either change over switch is broken or out of adjustment.

If you will download the 94 service manual in the 4th gen tech section. There is a god pic of change over switch on page 8A-201-35.

·
Cubanrummy
21 Posts
Hey, listen up...when I bought my '96 T/A LT1 auto.(used), the cruise control & the high/low beam wouldn't work at all.

I found a stalk assembly at a recycling yard (very inexpensive & can be from any Firebird V-6 or V-8, they're all the same) & put that one on & BINGO! Both functions now work. The stalk can actually be pulled out by hand after unplugging the electrical connector; try this before you mess around w/the steering wheel/airbag or go under the lower dash panel. I have to pull back pretty far & firm to get the "new" stalk to switch from high/low but it works; don't be afraid to give it a good firm yank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.