Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1976 Formula 400 and I'm just about to order my exhaust system. My question is, do long tube headers work with this model? The steering box looks like it will be in the way and the heater tube is attached to the manifold on the driver side. At first I considered getting the Ram Air Restoration Manifolds but decided I want some that are less restrictive.

The long tubes I have in mind are Hedman Headers model 28156. Is there anybody out there who owns this model or anybody know if these would be suitable?

Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
874 Posts
There's a variety that fit these models but they still come at the cost of excessive underfloor heat, losing the transmission backdrive setup and back-up lights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a variety that fit these models but they still come at the cost of excessive underfloor heat, losing the transmission backdrive setup and back-up lights.
I'm still a bit new to the car world. Would you care to explain underfloor heat and the transmission backdrive setup? Also, how do the backup lights get effected? Would what your saying mean I should skip out on the long tubes?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Depends if auto or manual but there's a setup of rods from the transmission side to the chassis rail, that creates a mechanical rigging that connects to base of steering column and swivels a tube around the steering shaft. Depends on year, it can control what gear the car will start in, connects to a switch that activates the reverse lights and the steering lock. Any form of larger headers will often foul this setup meaning it is simply removed. Any number of forum posts can be found when asking why they have no backup lights, turns out they have headers. Often it has been that way for years, you wonder who does their inspection.
Others may comment with some that work or what mods are required.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depends if auto or manual but there's a setup of rods from the transmission side to the chassis rail, that creates a mechanical rigging that connects to base of steering column and swivels a tube around the steering shaft. Depends on year, it can control what gear the car will start in, connects to a switch that activates the reverse lights and the steering lock. Any form of larger headers will often foul this setup meaning it is simply removed. Any number of forum posts can be found when asking why they have no backup lights, turns out they have headers. Often it has been that way for years, you wonder who does their inspection.
Others may comment with some that work or what mods are required.

Ahhhh ain't that the clincher. Mine is a manual and the driver side is really tight. The steering box is on that side so I'm sure that would effect the movement and placement of it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Sent you a PM. Have a dig through it.
There's always ways around these things but can be more trouble than the result.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
When I put headers on a '72 Formula I used to have, the one thing I didn't like was the way the headers got the starter a lot hotter than the stock manifolds did. It didn't want to crank over after it was warmed up. I ended up getting a high torque mini starter. The mini starter was smaller so more air was between it and the headers, plus it had an extra gear in it that turned the engine over better. The mini starter fixed the "heat soak" starter issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts