Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-

Just tried to install a set of headman full length headers and the passenger side is hitting the frame. Looks like I'll have to use shortys.

Can anyone recommend a set that they know will clear?? 1980 T/A with late 70s/early 80s Chevy 350 in it.

Thanx in advance for the help.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Don't have an answer but do have a question. Was the header set you bought made especially for a 2nd gen firebird or camaro. The fact that you have a chevy 350 in your ta changes the header requirement.

Sbc headers are made for a gazillion different models & years of chevy cars. If you bought a set of sbc headers of craigslist or similar place, they could be for a number of different cars.

I would think that if you bought a set of headers for a 80 camaro, they would fit pretty well. But it has been my experience that unless buying the top of the line $1000 plus headers, there usually will be fitment issues. From slight clearance problems to having to get the BFH out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I say custom because I do not know the exact brand of mine. My motor was not original to my car (1981 Firebird factory 4.4) which now has a olds 455 powerplant for more torque and power than my puny v8 so the 455 already had headders. If someone can tell me how to find the maker of mine I would enjoy that knowing where to look.

As for you, if your paying for the headers I 2nd what sea dog said. Ensure the supplier knows your vehicle make model and engine size to prevent issues.

If you know someone who works at a shop or a damn good welder maybe they can help fix the issue for you or with you. the joys of owning a vehicle and doing upgrades, one good upgrade can lead to more work.

Good luck

DaveyK

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
David, unless you bought a brand of headers like kooks, headman, etc, there will be no brand name id on the headers out there for sale.

·
Registered
227 Posts
David, unless you bought a brand of headers like kooks, headman, etc, there will be no brand name id on the headers out there for sale.
i didnt buy them, they came with my donor car and i just swapped front subframes... like the old racecars ;)

cause im hardcore like that lol

pages 6 and 5 from lastyear will show the process.

http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/daveyk86/library/?sort=3&page=6

a whole wack mroe has been done but i fried the pcs video card so no photos to post...for now

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hy,

I have changed my headers for 2 years, it was an worth work on it.

I buyed flowtech (cheaper as Flowmaster but the same) headers (long version).

On passanger side you have to replace the oilfilter adapter, than you have enough space. (But its very tight)

On driver side, you have replaced the z bar from the gearbox and the alloy cable holder from the battery on the engine. Than you have to lift the engine a little bit on this site. Thats it.

After 5h with a friend of mine the work was done.

Greatings sascha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts