Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Firebird Trans Am 305 V8 w/ac
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited this beauty from my grandfather and I’m having a few issues with the electrical side. The instrument lights don’t turn on, the left blinker isn’t working and I have the same issue mentioned in other threads where the choke light comes on briefly and you get the buzzer.
i replaced the alternator and I think that has solved the choke issue (although I haven’t done a proper test drive yet).
The instrument lights and blinker have me at a loss. I also have this rogue connection floating around under my dash.
I’ve replaced all lamps, replaced the flasher and the blinker relays, checked fuses….
any help is appreciated!!
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Speedometer Wheel

Hand Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Finger

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Cable

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
3,134 Posts
That loose connector might be the problem. This is way out of my scope of knowledge, but, a look over Painless Performance's wiring harness references pink/black and purple wires as part the turn signal circuit:

(https://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/20114.pdf Page 79)

"Pink/Black: 18 gauge wire, printed #999 KEY BUZZER GROUND, this is a ground
activation signal to the key buzzer. The only time this wire will be grounded is when a
key is in the ignition and the driver side door is open."

"Purple: 16 gauge wire, printed #952 TURN SIGNAL SWITCH POWER, this wire
provides power to the turn signal switch. It comes from the turn signal flasher found on
the fuse block. It is an ignition power wire but it will have power only when the turn
signal switch is activated, which causes the flasher to send power through this wire."

There are many Pink wires in their harness and a couple Pink/Black wires too, but the Turn Signal circuit is the only place I see the pink/black and purple colors existing on the same circuit. ...but it doesn't look like they are paired off together in the diagram, or part of a 2-wire connector. Pink is common for "power" though, so, something isn't connected. I don't have the wiring diagrams for any 2nd gen, and, color maps change through the years. Painless Performance's harness is kind of a one size fits all solution, and I do not know if they make different harness for different years but they do claim to follow the standard GM color scheme.

That said, given the location, Brake or Neutral Safety Switch?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The connector is similar to the others that have relays clipped into them but this is the only one in this clear color, the others are black. I found a wiring diagram that shows a pink and purple for the “direction signal switch connector” but it looks like a white wire is also terminated with them. I’ll attach the diagram I was looking at.
Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel Pattern

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
3,134 Posts
That's very similar to the Painless schematic. ...it's the 2-wire connector tripping me up. The connector color might be an indicator, on page 78 of the Painless installation manual, they show clear connectors going into the ignition switch (lower column) and state to connect those before the black connectors. Maybe it's part of the ignition switch? There isn't much in that area.

I need to have my eyes checked... We're both saying that wire goes to the same place "turn signal / directional signal", and I can see a pink/black wire in the legend of the diagram you posted plain as day, but I do not see a pink and black wire anywhere on it. Not even where we both agree it "is".

This image from the Painless manual might point you somewhere, does that connector reach to the fuse block? Does the Key Buzzer work?

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram

Reactions: 1993TransAm

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
2,118 Posts
OP: May I ask where you got the diagram from that you are referencing? In addition to what Tony said about not seeing a pink wire with a black tracer anywhere on it, it also says, "GENERIC SAMPLE DIAGRAM" down the left side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP: May I ask where you got the diagram from that you are referencing? In addition to what Tony said about not seeing a pink wire with a black tracer anywhere on it, it also says, "GENERIC SAMPLE DIAGRAM" down the left side.
Searching Google. I have the Haynes manual on it but searched online as the manual isn’t in color.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after doing some other work on the cluster I found the printed circuit board has some issues. Contacts at the connector were a bit off a mess. One is torn and another was twisted and couldn’t possibly be making a connection. Replacement is on the way…

1 - 7 of 7 Posts