Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1981 Trans am Turbo
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the electrical is in horrible shape. I’m trying to avoid a pricey harness on all of the car all at once. Thought I’d start with the engine harness. I had an issue with an inline fuse to the starter and the new wire was popping the fuse. So I had a repair guy (not a classic car expert) install a “fuse conversion” at the starter to actuate the solenoid. It worked. As a quick fix. With the engine harness: 1. Do you have to get a lift to take the engine out to replace? 2. Is it really difficult to do? 3. How much do they run and who has a good one? Any other tips are appreciated!

· Registered
1977 Trans Am W72 400/4speed (swapped)
478 Posts
Engine harness is not overly complicated. Maybe slightly more so with your being an 81 if you retain the computer and computer controlled carb. I know very little about those. Otherwise no, I wouldn’t think you’d have to remove the engine to replace although getting to the bulkhead connector on the firewall may prove difficult. A workaround could be removing the drivers side inner fender.

Here’s a good electrical resource that may shed some light on things. 80-81s had a different fuse block for example. The guy that wrote this page Hoghead's Firebird and Trans Am Parts is a member over at Trans Am Country still.

· Registered
1981 Trans am Turbo
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine harness is not overly complicated. Maybe slightly more so with your being an 81 if you retain the computer and computer controlled carb. I know very little about those. Otherwise no, I wouldn’t think you’d have to remove the engine to replace although getting to the bulkhead connector on the firewall may prove difficult. A workaround could be removing the drivers side inner fender.

Here’s a good electrical resource that may shed some light on things. 80-81s had a different fuse block for example. The guy that wrote this page Hoghead's Firebird and Trans Am Parts is a member over at Trans Am Country still.
Thank you!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts