Firebird Nation banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Pontiac Firebird 1994 3,4l L32
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looking for and announcements of the sale. But unfortunately there are offers from dealers (for me this is not an option). I need a private sale from the owner. More than sure that there are abandoned or forgotten cars that are simply on the street. Maybe someone knows similar sites where you can find a donor.

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,762 Posts
Hawks Motorsports or another salvage yard is your best option. In our country it is illegal to separate a VIN tag from a chassis. A salvage yard might be willing to remove a VIN tag, put it and the matching ownership documentation (title) in the post for you, and crush (destroy) the vehicle. ...but this is unethical AND illegal.

At the very least, you will have to buy a bare chassis, which will save you a lot of weight in shipping, or, buy the section of the car that has the VIN tag riveted to it. It is not uncommon for a car to be sectioned out into quarters or halved for accident repair.

In our country abandoned cars need to have ownership transferred to the "finder". This is a legal process.

There are no "forgotten" cars on our roads. Unregistered and/or lack of insurance is an illegal condition to operate a motor vehicle. Some do drive in this condition, but they get arrested if found, and people like this do not observe the rules of the road so they do get caught soon enough. The vehicle is then impounded until they can attain the proper paperwork, sold at auction, or destroyed.

A private owner who is willing to ship a complete vehicle overseas is going to be a hard find. Listing a car for sale, taking calls / scheduling appointments for viewing, and dealing with payment is more effort than most want to expel. A private owner willing to part out a car and ship just what you need is a one-in-a-million find. My Trans Am needs 3 times more work than it is valued at if that work was performed. I'm still not willing to part with it. Many are in my situation and are OK with it because someday we will repair it, and it's only appreciating in value "as it sits" anyway.

...and that's another thing working against you. Used Car Values. You picked the wrong time to do this. Right now the used car market is very out of line with what we would call actual value. What was a $4,000 car on a good day 2 years ago is now an $8,000 car. Covid supply chain issues has created a shortage of new cars, which in turn has caused the value of used cars to increase dramatically. Every used car has inflated value right now regardless of how crap and undesirable it may be. This is how our Capitalism based society works, it's called supply-and-demand.

It might be easier for you to locate a wrecked chassis in Europe, so contact some European "American" car clubs, there may be an owner with exactly what you need sitting abandoned in a barn out in the countryside.

Your best option in the USA is to look on Craigslist.org for "parts" cars, but, again, the kind of people selling on that website won't want to be bothered with any effort. They want you to show up with cash in hand, and remove the parts or the vehicle at your expense. Also, there is an individual section of craigslist for every county/city in the country, so hundreds if not a thousand sub-sites to look over, and I'm sorry, we're all nice guys and girls over here but that is a bit much to ask for. ...even for someone like me.

Otherwise...

...you buy a complete car at market price and ship it overseas at great time and expense to yourself just like everyone else. Which begs the question to be asked, why bother with the 1994? Just buy a 1996+ and put it on the road. The 1994 should be the parts car, although as pointed out previously, the powertrain between the two years is different. You can transfer them in their entirety, them but you can not easily "mix and match" parts. The interior with the exception of the instrument panel is 100% compatible between years, as is all of the body parts. But there are variances in the electrical, and they have different engines, and computers. If you had a 1996 and you needed 1997+ you'd be in better shape with the v6 vehicles because little changed between them through those years. I'm in the same situation with my 1993 LT1 Firebird. Even though 1993-1997 were all the same, I can not just swap parts over either because 1994 had changes that were improvements, as did 1995-1997. Even though the generation is split 1993-1997 and 1998-2002, in the early years things changed or were refined between years.

Overall though, I honestly do not comprehend your logic. It sounds like you bought the wrong car because you didn't know of or understand your emissions laws. That I understand, but the way you are trying to correct the error is more costly and requires more effort than cutting your losses and buying the right car.

Reactions: Alex and Injuneer

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The logic of my actions is simple. I became a hostage to the instability of the legislation in my country. For more than a year, the so-called "amendments" in the bills have been adopted (naturally, there was hope that changes would be introduced and everything would work out). I have no desire to drive as you described in the example: "without insurance." I am doing my best to legalize my car. No one said it would be easy, but it's better to try all possible options than to sit and just wait for something that won't happen. It is for this reason that I turned to you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
On the issue of selling my car for parts, I will explain. There are practically no such cars in Ukraine, no one needs it, especially without documents. For a 3.4 swap, no one needs except 5.7.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for the info. But we are talking about a completely different car (Pontiac Firebird 4gen 1996-2002). And parts made of fiberglass or carbon fiber I make myself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, Ive been in contact with you by email. I have a semi trailer load of parts. I have a complete 1995 with the 3.4 engine. Its convertible though. I have 7 birds and parts to probably make 5 more, lol. Tomorrow I will have almost all the parts from another 2002 I found in a wrecking yard with a blown engine. At least---they think its blown. All these 3.8s end up with water in the oil due to a bad inner intake gasket. People trash them. I get them as 'blown' for parts then have the gaskets fixed. I got almost the entire 2002 car for under $1,000 including complete interior. Its a place where you have to take off all the parts yourself and carry them out of the wrecking yard---and they wont let you go in or out with anything but their own little wagons, lol. Someone above said it right. Until about two years ago you could pick up birds all over the country for a few dollars. Then people 'discovered' them, and in our economy used car prices have been going through the roof. I was 2 years too late in wanting to collect these cars.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts