Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Pontiac Firebird 1994 3,4l L32
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello colleagues! I am looking for documents for my Pontiac Firebird 4 gen 1994, or a donor with documents entirely for spare parts, only from 1996, not older. The problem is that I cannot register my 1994 Pontiac in my country due to Euro 2 regulations. Only exactly the same cars pass only with a vin year of 1996 and younger. I would be grateful for your assistance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks buddy! It really is. Therefore, I am considering the option of purchasing documents separately.

Attachments

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,975 Posts
Is it primarily the OBD-2 emissions components that need to be for a 1996 in order to meet local requirements? 1996 and 1997 are identical in that respect. By “documents”, are you talking about changing the VIN plate, and using that, along with the vehicle title in order to pass it off as a 96 (or 97)? Several components in the car are marked with the VIN which includes the model year info.

Example:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly. By replacing plates / stickers. Or, of course, if there is a donor, replacing the body.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The photo above shows the work done by me on the car. This is of course not related to the topic, but your opinion is very important to me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks buddy! There is still a lot of work to be done. I will pull the door cards and refresh the seats. Hopefully the issue will be sorted out soon. The car has been sitting for over a year.

·
Administrator
14,975 Posts
Possible complication - the car has the 3.4L V6. That engine was not available after 1995. Are you looking to replace the engine?

Sorry for all the questions, but what you appear to be trying to do is turn the car into a 96, or possibly buy a 96 chassis that you can put your existing parts into. The first option, swapping the VIN plate would seem to be illegal in the US. So we need to know the limits in Ukraine with regard to what you are trying to do.

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
1,972 Posts
🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everything is legal. There will be a replacement engine for existing documents under 3.8 or 5.7.

·
Administrator
14,975 Posts
I wasn’t suggesting you were doing anything illegal in your country. Just pointing out that in the US (some states) it is not legal, so we need help understanding what you are trying to accomplish. A classic restored 1959 Corvette was taken from its owner in the state of Kansas because the owner had removed the VIN plate so the car could be painted, then reinstalled it. The car was on its way to a crusher, and was saved only after the State government passed a new law.

As a minimum it would appear you need the VIN plate, engine, wiring harness, PCM, and transmission from a single donor car. Plus the catalytic converter(s) appropriate to the engine (3.8 is single cat/5.7 is dual cat). The (partial) VIN is stamped on the engine and transmission, and the full VIN programmed in the PCM. Do the wheels/tires need to match the original equipment sizes/specifications - V6 and V8 wheels can be different.

Need clarification on what “documents” you need. Bill of sale? Title? Registration? Window sticker?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Speaking only for documents, will need a technical passport, license plates, vin plates (the one under the windshield), if the European version is a plate from the left glass, stickers from the end of the driver's door and glove box. After customs clearance, the car is registered with the note "engine replacement" After which a new technical passport is issued with a new engine number.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Or a completely different “donor” car that may be faulty, damaged, but must have documents with a production date according to the vin code from 1996. It is obligatory with the date according to vin, because the date of the first registration is indicated in the technical passport.

·
Administrator
14,975 Posts
I'm not familiar with the term "technical passport". Have no idea what that is. There is a service that will give you the build date, and all installed options by entering the VIN. It is not an "official" document but is derived from the manufacturer's records:

When you get the US (issued by individual states) "title" on a car that has been wrecked and declared a total loss by the insurer, the title will most likely be a "salvage" title. Not sure how that might affect your process of using the VIN and documents from an empty shell on your 94.

This company recycles parts from wrecked cars. They indicate the cars are not for sale, but you might want to see if they would sell you the VIN plate and documents you need. I'm offering this info based on your representation that what you are trying to do is not illegal in Ukraine.

Reactions: Alex

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info!
This is the so-called "technical passport" for owners from Poland (example in the photo). The same plan is issued to the owner of the car in Ukraine, which is a confirmation of ownership of the car.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts