Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1977 Trans Am L78 Auto Buccaneer Red
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Same ol story, had a 78 in high school in 86, then a 76 455 several years later. Had many hot rods since then but finally decided to get another Trans Am.

Just picked up a one owner 82k mile 77 in Buccaneer Red, L78, auto, manual windows/locks, nothing special there. It's been sitting in a garage for the last 10 years or so, the father died and the son...who drove it in high school, took ownership 15 or so years ago. He was prepping for autocross and installed coils, rear composite springs, Koni Red shocks, adjustable sway bar, C5 brakes, forged axles, 3.42 gears with Detriot Tru Trac, adjustable aluminum subrame, connectors, etc. on top of 17" Year One honeycombs.

Paint is good but has some small damage and will be repainted. Currently the engine has received the SUM-2800 (69 HO) camshaft, Quardrajet and distributor rebuilt. Black interior is flawless. That is the status of things today.

My plans today are to remove the 6X8 heads and put some Edelbrock 87 cc heads with matching intake along with some RamAir headers/manifolds with a fresh exhaust system then a Cold Case aluminum radiator and electric fans as I typically do on my street rods. The cam is a .420/.440 lift and am thinkng about going to 1.65 rollers to bump it up to the .460/480 range. Get it back running and sorted then off to body shop jail it goes...

Long term I may go with a 2004R as I did in my last Pro Touring build, a 69 Camaro, but first things first.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Odometer Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,359 Posts
Welcome to Firebird Nation ! ! !

Reactions: Texan

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
I like staying original, but you go guy and do what makes you happy ;-)

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,291 Posts
Congrats on the new car and great to have you here.

Feel free to start a post in the 2nd Gen Showroom. It's a great way to keep track of your progress, post photos and ask questions, all in 1 place. (It also helps inspire others)

·
Registered
1977 Trans Am L78 Auto Buccaneer Red
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the welcome, one and all.

Sounds like a good plan! Where in Texas?
Brock, west of DFW.

I like staying original, but you go guy and do what makes you happy ;-)
I'm the same way and have been chewing on that. I'll keep everything I pull off just in case. Original is always more valuable for sure. My last build, a 69 Pro Touring Camaro was built to look very original other than wheels but have the suspension/brakes and motor to really perform. This is likely the direction I will take with this one since the suspension/brakes is already there. Paint and interior wills remain vey original for sure.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for the welcome, one and all.

Brock, west of DFW.

I'm the same way and have been chewing on that. I'll keep everything I pull off just in case. Original is always more valuable for sure. My last build, a 69 Pro Touring Camaro was built to look very original other than wheels but have the suspension/brakes and motor to really perform. This is likely the direction I will take with this one since the suspension/brakes is already there. Paint and interior wills remain vey original for sure.

View attachment 229060
Welcome too> I just joined as well with my 69 Firebird. West of Dallas in the FW area! We have a good cruise group once a month. Also, I will have my Bird at the GG Show next weekend! Stop and say hi if you are there. Red with black top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts