Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Garage turbo
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a code saying the car is running to lean since removing the screen. I also found this article http://www.musclecardiy.com/performa...-and-examples/ If anyone knows of tuners that have worked on a 3800 in the Atlanta area a referral would be appreciated. I am putting the screen back on the MAF.

My Dyno numbers are 228hp and 292tq with 7lbs of boost in a rear mount with 5.5 reading on the gauge right before the intercooler.

Since that Dyno pull I found an intake leak, a badly crimped intake tube, and cleaned the oil of the throttle body, put on the turbo it was tuned with it had one that was slightly different so I could get the other check out, and cleaned the MAF. I am going to get another Dyno pull maybe the low power problem has fixed itself with those things addressed to be fair to the tuners.

I have rerouted the oil return line and done the pcv mod so oil flows back to the engine from the turbo easier and modded the PCV system with a bung in each valve cover going to an oil catch can with a breather on it since the stock pcv system isn't made for boost. I hope it doesn't need more tuning.

·
Garage turbo
163 Posts
My post have been wanting on clarity. I have Dyno charts of High power 3800 cars and none of them have an air to fuel ratio below 11 even running more than double the boost. I went to Honeywell and worked with the chart that lets you type in your own parameters and than you get a HP estimate which I understand is just an estimate but that is what I used to build the car.

My car runs as low as 10.3 on the air to fuel ratio comparison so that probably explains why I'm lacking in HP a little. When I had it put on the Dyno last year I knew it had some problems but I wanted to know a little more than what I suspected. It showed a max of 281 lbs of torque and that was with the clutch pretty worn out so the tuner said it might not be showing a little horsepower that it would with a new clutch. I am looking to reach the 330 lbs of torque it should reach with roughly 5lbs of boost going to the engine after the intercooler while having the car almost reliable as it was stock.

If the worn out clutch which was replaced was costing 20lbs of torque and the other things I have fixed like leaks make a difference it should reach that number because it was already almost there. I just have trouble with all the little things these 3800's seem to have allot of small problems I wish there was a link to all of them in one page it seems other drivers have to spend allot of time narrowing them down just like me.

Again I know the Trans Am can make 350 LBS of torque to the wheels with intake, exhaust, and a really good tuner but I own this car already.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't think you are going to get even close to 330 ft/lbs with 5psi of boost. Are you running an unmodified 3.8? If you want to get more than 290 ft/lbs reliably without blowing up the motor than you should take your 3.8 heads, and bolt them on a L26 block. Then you can go with larger injectors, and raise the boost to 10-12 psi reliably. Add a decent turbo optimized cam and you can get pretty dang close to 330ft/lbs reliably and it will last a long time. If you want to rev it more than 5700 rpm then while you have it apart, have the rotating assembly balanced and replace the spring with #105 and LS7 lifters. They tend to be very unbalanced blocks from the factory. But yes, you can send your pcm to pcmforless.com to get a mail order tune for $125. If you really want to get a good tune then dyno tune it at a speed shop. Let us know how it goes....

·
Garage turbo
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It got 290 lbs of torque with 5.5lbs of boost and that was with it running so rich it was blowing out the spark plug on one of the cylinders, had an intake leak, a dirty MAF which failed a couple of thousand miles later, plugs with 50,000 miles on them, a vacuum leak, cracked plug, and a different turbo than it was tuned with just to see how it would Dyno. You might be right I am going to put it on the Dyno again soon just to see what I get. The only modifications are injectors, valve springs, and exhaust.

·
Garage turbo
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the info Suron. I used https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/boostadviser toestimate the HP I can get with tuning and compared it to the few other cars that had a turbo added properly one had more than three hundred horsepower and allot of torque with only 2LBS of boost because he had a built engine that car has more than 800 HP now according to his Dyno Graph that was on a V6.

I built this car 4 years ago in a couple of days and it's taking 5 years to get the tune right. I am pretty sure when it was tuned in 2012 it had a bad injector the injector was brand new at the time and it started leaking gas out of the tail pipe like 5,000 miles after it was tuned. I paid $800 for the tune.

As I was finishing it up my Mom got really I'll I had to move and work two full time jobs at times this car has been 90 percent finished since 2012.

·
Registered
770 Posts
When will we be seeing the results? As a former V6 owner I am looking forward to seeing how it does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts