Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK..so i am working on 1979 trans am with olds 403..the gas lines that run up drivers side are compleaty rotton so i attached the tank to the lines that run up passenger side which is normally used for the charcoal canister.I disconnected the rubber lines up front from the canister and attached them to the fuel pump which is on passenger side on old 403..I have the canister unhooked up front and down where the line comes off the tank i put on a small filter..(just to keep dirt out of the line)..but i dont think this important..All the other lines from the canister are still attached to the carburator but as the canister isnt attached to the tank they are not doing anything other than keeping the hoses from flapping around..
SO..here is the question of the day..
Is this OK?.
car runs fine..but on hot days my garage really stinks of gas..and my garage has a door into house and wife hates it..it does really smell sometimes..
I heard of people dissconnecting their charcoal canister..what do they do about smell?
Or do i have another issue of where smell is coming from?
Could smell be coming out of carburator?..i do have aircleaner removed as i have been working on my idle adjustment and choke..
Also..if i dont start the car for a couple of days the smell gets better..( I mean just less smelly ) but then i need a bit of gas in carburator for it to start..if i dont put any fuel in carb the car will eventually start after pumping gas and turning over for 30 or 40 seconds but i dont like wearing down the battery or extra stress on starter..I like my car to FIRE straight away..

I am new here so please respond if you know anything on the above issue..even if you dont I would like to meet some people who have a common interest in these cars..I know alot of these forums go unanswered for a long time..Its nice to recieve answers in a timly manor..

CHEERS.
HAMILTON..ONTARIO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Hamilton, I have a "79 Firebird, have had it over thirty years. I am pretty much an observer here because a refresher course is needed at this point. I have heard people say they just ignored the charcoal canister. But others here may have a different input. Weeser1 in Minnesota.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK..so i am working on 1979 trans am with olds 403..the gas lines that run up drivers side are compleaty rotton so i attached the tank to the lines that run up passenger side which is normally used for the charcoal canister.I disconnected the rubber lines up front from the canister and attached them to the fuel pump which is on passenger side on old 403..I have the canister unhooked up front and down where the line comes off the tank i put on a small filter..(just to keep dirt out of the line)..but i dont think this important..All the other lines from the canister are still attached to the carburator but as the canister isnt attached to the tank they are not doing anything other than keeping the hoses from flapping around..
SO..here is the question of the day..
Is this OK?.
car runs fine..but on hot days my garage really stinks of gas..and my garage has a door into house and wife hates it..it does really smell sometimes..
I heard of people dissconnecting their charcoal canister..what do they do about smell?
Or do i have another issue of where smell is coming from?
Could smell be coming out of carburator?..i do have aircleaner removed as i have been working on my idle adjustment and choke..
Also..if i dont start the car for a couple of days the smell gets better..( I mean just less smelly ) but then i need a bit of gas in carburator for it to start..if i dont put any fuel in carb the car will eventually start after pumping gas and turning over for 30 or 40 seconds but i dont like wearing down the battery or extra stress on starter..I like my car to FIRE straight away..

I am new here so please respond if you know anything on the above issue..even if you dont I would like to meet some people who have a common interest in these cars..I know alot of these forums go unanswered for a long time..Its nice to recieve answers in a timly manor..

CHEERS.
HAMILTON..ONTARIO.
I highly recommend the following activated charcoal filter: Vapor Trapper - Fuel Tank Vent Line Charcoal Vapor Filter

I've used it on several customer projects. Works very well at removing gasoline smell.

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,112 Posts
Annnd, you need a carb rebuild because the fuel in the bowl is leaking down into the intake when you don't use the car. That's why you have to pour gas in the carb or crank forever to have the pump refill the bowl. The fuel leaking out of the bowl into the intake is evaporating and that's why it smells for a couple days till the bowl is empty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts