Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

The fuel tank in my '98 V6 is severely rusted. I'm trying to get it a replacement tank but I've noticed a difference in part numbers. GM2799C for all 4th gens 93-97 and part# GM27114C for 98-02.

I was at the junkyard today and pulled several tanks. Unfortunately I couldn't take any with me because they puncture them pretty badly before they put the cars out on the yard.

I pulled one from an '02 Camaro and it was definitely different from the one I have in my '98. I pulled one from a '97 Camaro and it looked the same as the one I have in my '98.

Will a '97 and before tank fit in a '98? I noticed the fuel pumps are slightly different between these two years but I would be transferring my '98 pump over. I have attached an image of my '98 tank. Grey Wood Wall Birdhouse Gas

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,406 Posts
The 93-97 tanks are identical and fabricated from steel. 99-02 have a slightly larger capacity, are made from plastic. They all fit into the same space in the chassis, which is the same from 93 - 02. I believe the 98's started with the steel tank, but at some point may have switched to the plastic tank.

The early models had an outboard EVAP emissions canister in the drivers rear fender. The later plastic tanks incorporated the EVAP canister mounted to the tank (at least the V8 models).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, that's information I was looking for. 93-97 fuel tanks are much easier to find and cheaper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to add to this in case someone else ever comes across the same problem.

1998 model year Camaro and Firebird use a specific fuel tank. It's a metal tank, which appears to be identical to the 97 before tanks. The difference lies in the filler neck. Below is a picture of 97 fuel tank on the left and a 98 fuel tank on the right. The 98 fuel pump will bolt right into the 97 fuel tank. The filler neck is different. The filler neck opening on the 97 is about 3 inches lower than the on the 98 and about 1.5 inches off to the right. You will also need a 97 filler cap.

I ended up using heat to bend the filler up and somewhat to the left. It will be some work to make this fit right and you will have to test fit numerous times. It's not a fun job and if you can find a 98 specific tank for your 98 model, I would just recommend you do that.

Attachments

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,406 Posts
Thanks for the update.... good reference material for future "searches".

What I will do is move this post to the "Resolved Issues" part of this forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts