Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
So i just bought a 98 firebird with a 383 thrown in there with the v6 automatic:( but that works fine till you hit about 85-90 anyway my fuel pump has been toggle switched due to the fact that when it was normally plugged in it wouldnt pump fuel and now the car runs but its incredibly difficult to start and just a real PITA so i was just looking for any thoughts how to fix this (btw im replace the tranny with the 5 speed from a 2001 v6 firebird would this work?

·
Administrator
3,413 Posts
If you have a 383 v-8 in your car, nix the idea of a standard oem type 5 speed. If you have to go with 5 speeds buy one that's built for the torque of the 383.

But a six speed t-56 would be a much better choice for your car. With either manual transmission you would want to go with either 3.42 or 3.73 gear ratio for your rear end.

You will want to put a v-8 fuel pump in there at the very least. An aftermarket pump like a walbro would be a better choice. But buy from a known good dealer. Because China counterfeits are everywhere.

And get rid of the toggle switch and wire pump up like factory did it. 4th gen tech section will have 98 service manual to download. It has complete wiring diagrams.

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
What engine was used as the basis for your "383" - Gen 1 SBC, Gen 2 SBC (LT1), Gen 3 or later SBC (LSx)? Is this an EFI or carb setup?

Normally. the fuel pump will not run until the PASS-Key2 system verifies the resistor in the ignition key? Was the "SECURITY" light on, flashing or solid? The LSx fuel system operates at a higher pressure than the 3.8L V6 system in the 98-02 Firebirds. The LT1 fuel system operates at a lower pressure. What fuel pressure regulator are you using? What is your fuel pressure at idle?

Difficult cold start can be caused by a faulty coolant temp sensor. If this is an EFI setup, have you scanned it for codes? And fuel pressure issues can affect this as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much ive just learne that all the facts i gave you were wrong tho..... my bad!what the seller said and what i saw with my own two eyes are quite differrent and to clarify its a '94 with a 305 and i cant find the fuel pump relay anywhere but thew security light stays on for a sec and then goes away still no fuel pump

but i do know for a fact the pump is good did a voltage test on it out of the vehicle but it was new anyway in the package when i bought the car but thanks so much for any help you guys give me

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
The fuel pump relay in a 94 is under the plastic "dead pedal" on the drivers floor, next to the kick panel.

The rest of the story is strange.

5 Posts
Something we run across in our shop with guys going to external tank pumps for whatever reasons and running engines that need more fuel is trying to pull through a dead factory tank pump before it gets to the external pump. We have dropped tanks and pulled the pumps and extended the pickup tube to the bottom and made a huge difference in the fuel flow. A lot of times while the tanks out we just eliminate the external add on pump and go with a better in-tank unit.

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
I don't think this is a problem with the fuel pump pulling suction through the stock in tank pump. It's more a problem that he has no idea what he just bought. I don't understand how you can mistake a 94 for a 98, and why anyone would even dump a 305 SBC into it, and then represent the car as a 98 with a 383 to sell it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.