Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering, ive been struggling a bit with front tire size on my 68. would like to run a little large tire on the front currently running 255/45/17 on the front. One thing i noted yesterday while tinkering around, the distance from the tire to the rear of the front fenderwell, at the bottom, on the drivers side is 2.5 inches while the passenger side is 3 inches. anyone have any idea why they may be different?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Check your body mounts. Just had the same issue with my friends 71 Nova. The passenger side body mount bushing wore out and the connection with the subframe loosened.. This resulted in the subframe torquing a bit. If it's the case, replace all the bushing and verify side to side dimensions from centerline rear wheel to front wheel on each side before torquing to specification.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Jeff, Ill check it out. Just curious, how difficult is it to move it forward on one side on a fully assembled and driving car

·
Registered
31 Posts
As long as all 4 of the subframe mounts are loose, it is not too hard. I would definitely tell you to replace the bushings while you're at it - unless they have been recently replaced and just not torqued completely. You need to brace the back wheels to stop them from moving and then push or pull on the front wheels depending which way you need to go. Like I said earlier, it's is definitely easier with a buddy.
Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts