Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this post might help someone out who may find themselves in the same boat I was in when I first started this project. I bought a 95 firebird with a blown 3800 Series II V6. I figured it would be easy to find the same V6 motor from a Camaro or Firebird and just swap it out. Turns out.. people ask WAY to much for these motors and shipping costs are INSANE. So I had to figure out a different route if I was going to get this car up and running. I started researching the possibility of using a FWD 3800 Series II sense these seem to be in abundance and very cheap complete. I searched and scoured the forums and internet looking for answers. All I got was a bunch of mixed results. Some people said yes.. others said no.. but most of them sounded like they have turned more pages in a book than an actual wrench. So I was no closer than I was before I started. I called up a good friend of mine and asked his opinion. He said as long as it was from the same casting block. He didn't see why it wouldn't work. Even though he's never done this himself personally. So I matched the casting block numbers. I found a complete 2001 Buick Century 3800 Series II FWD with the same casting block for $250 at a junk yard that ran.

Now was the time for removing the old motor from the Firebird. It's easier to lift the car off the motor than is it to remove the motor from the top. Even though the link provided below is for an LS1 Camaro. Everything they said worked for the V6.

Here's what I used to removed the motor.

1. 4 ton hoist
1. 2 ton tow chain
2. 1/2 ton rolling dollies.

Hooked the chains to the frame inside the motor cavity. Placed one dolly under the main support for the motor (subframe) and another dolly to support the transmission. I was able to lift the car off the motor and push it out into the open.

Comparing and contrasting the two motors. I started to take them apart. I used the Aluminum Air intake and Plenum from the old motor. (still good) and swapped them onto the FWD with no issues. They fit perfectly. Basically just using common sense and doing one part at a time I was able to swap everything over to the FWD engine and make it RWD.

As of yesterday. I started the car up for the first time with the other motor and it seems to be working wonderfully.

I hope this may help anyone with this question.. that it is possible to use a FWD 3800 Series II for a RWD 3800 Series II firebird/Camaro.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Good job, I'm sure other members with the 3.8 v-6 will be happy to know they can save some $$$ by using a fwd engine in their bird.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,406 Posts
There are 6 "shared media=core attachments" in the body of your first post. No one deleted them or altered them. Not sure if they are compatible with the site operating system, whether that source allows hot links, etc. Is that the format of the links you embedded?

Best thing to handle attachments is to click on the "attach" button at the bottom of the new topic post blank.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Had to test it...

Cat Felidae Carnivore Wood Small to medium-sized cats

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was just weird. I resized the pictures to fit. They were on for a few days. Now they are gone. Just confused me. But thanks for replaying!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just thinking. If the pictures I was using was on my Desk Top. Then I deleted the photos off of my desk top. Would that cause then to disappear from my post??

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,406 Posts
No. Has nothing to do with them being on your PC.

To use a picture, you can attach them directly using the "Manage Attachments" tab in the "More Reply Options" tab (bottom right corner of the reply screen.) They will remain there forever. Alternatively, you put the photos on a photos website, and copy and paste the link to the photo into your post. If the photo website you use does not allow "hot linking" (which is what you did by copying and pasting the address), you may be able to see the photos, but others cannot.

How does your experience compare to the info presented in this site?

http://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/3800-series-ii-iii-engine-replacement-info-57568/

This is what is in your first post - one of six (spaces added after and before brackets):

[ sharedmedia=core:attachments:149689 ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts