Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We installed new front springs in my '76, and now the front end is about 2 inches taller than before. I don't believe the front end was this high from the factory as it is about 3 inches above the tire.. Will these thing settle down or do I have to remove them and have them cut down. thanks

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,371 Posts
Are you sure you have the correct springs? Different engines and options have different weights, compress the springs differently. They aren't going to "settle" a couple of inches. We don't know which engine you have.

It would be helpful if you put the info about your Firebird in your profile so it shows up in your posts, rather than info about the Dodge Charger.

Fred / Administrator

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Make sure the springs are in the upper and lower spring pockets correctly, and that the control arms are not too tight to let the car settle down. Sometimes if you tighten the control arms when the car is in the air, they are stiff in the bushings and don't have the freedom to rotate with the weight of the car as is sits on it's own weight when you let it off the jackstands. Were the replacement springs the same free length as the old ones you took out. The car is going to sit a little higher than it did with the old worn out springs, and it will settle a little, not enough to really tell that much though, but not as much as you are needing. If the springs are in their pockets OK, and the control arms are not too tight, the springs must be longer or stiffer (or both) to make the car sit up that high. When I was an Engineer for an automotive tier one suspension company, there were different springs for a certain car line depending if the car was a sedan, with or without AC, a wagon, or a GT. With the different aftermarket spring sources that are out there, be it Eibach or Hotchkis, or some OEM replacement, there is bound to be variation. When I replaced my front springs/bushings, I was taking out worn out springs, and replacing with what I hoped were springs that would make my car sit the way I wanted, at least close. I was totally prepared to do an initial install, let the car down, and call that my starting point and go from there by cutting off half a coil or whatever to get the front end where I want it, and also have the drivers and passenger side be even with each other.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, they were the correct springs. It has a 455 .
My 1978 firebird has the same problem the shop replaced the upper control arm bushings and now it sits 2” to 3” to high I have the original springs in the car they changed the bushings with no front end on the car it only had the motor in it. Was wondering if you figured out what was going on with yours and how you corrected it. I’m not sure if they tightened everything down while is was in the air with no weight on the car. This was done about 4 years ago. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts