Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Proud new owner of a 79 Firebird, it's a project vehicle. Equipped with the 4.9L 301. Finally got around to working on it. Got fresh gas, changed oil, new plugs...basically everything to get her started up.

Unfortunately, it will fire up and stay running as long as I have starting fluid blasting into it. It sounds like a fuel issue, but I have checked the lines and fuel filter and it definitely looks like gas is getting into the carb.

Can you guys lead me To the next trouble shooting step to get this baby running? I was thinking checking fuel pressure and maybe rebuilding the carb. Suggestions? If I am checking the fuel pressure, how do I do it and what should the pressure be at?

Attached is the picture of it, need to replace the warped flywheel and install the transmission back as well.

This is my first project and I'm beyond excited, what do you guys think about the 301 engines?

Anyways, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Welcome to FBN ! :welcome500:

"... what do you guys think about the 301 engines?..."

Well, I don't wanna burst your bubble--BUT, the 301 is a very low performance engine. They have a weak block and a really weak crank. And the heads were not made for performance. The 301 Turbo engines had a few stronger parts and can make a fair amount of power.

But, the good news is that any '70-up Pontiac 350, 400, or 455 will bolt right in, with the 301 mounts.

I think most all Pontiac guys will recommend that you swap the 301 for a larger Pontiac engine. :yes

The only reason I can think of to keep the 301 is either for gas mileage, or lack of funds to replace it.

So, the 1st question most will ask is: What is your budget, for the engine ? That will determine the best way to proceed.

Good luck with your project ! :smile22:

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
If you decide to stay with the 301, and you have a 2 barrel carb, you can increase performance with a Q-jet intake and carb. :yes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuilt-Rochester-Quadrajet-17059272-1979-Pontiac-301-Carburetor-/331360030822

There are usually lots of used and rebuilt 301 Q-jets on Ebay. Of course, I can't vouch for the quality of any of 'em. But there are several good carb rebuilders who can build you a good one.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2051541.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xquadrajet+carb+for+301+pontiac+.TRS0&_nkw=quadrajet+carb+for+301+pontiac+&_sacat=6000

You might also find some good 301 info over on the 301 Garage site.

http://www.301garage.com/forum/index.php

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'm guessing that carb hasn't been rebuilt. It may be about time. If it's a two barrel, I'm with Don. Time to upgrade to that quadrajet.

At the very least, change the fuel filter in the carb and see if that helps - it's a cheap part. Just remember to oil the threads a tad when you reinstall the filter, and be sure not to cross thread it.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
If its set for a long time carb ismost likely in need of rebuilding old gas tarnishes internals n gums everything up, only way to clean thoroughly is to dismantle n soak. Eldebrock has very reliable n user friendly carbs for the street, I have used them on several street machines. Also check wires look for cross firing easy to see at nice. Just a few suggestions hope they help. If budget is title a small block Chevy is super cheap build with great performance potential, now that's just a thought so everybody please don't rip me apart for suggesting putting a SBC in a Pontiac, but it is a way more economical route.

·
Registered
6 Posts
10-4, thanks guys. I'm not necessarily looking for a lot of performance. I just wanted something to work on and broaden my car knowledge. Hell, I picked it up for $700 so don't think I'm really hurting here haha.

Fuel filter has already been replaced and that didn't solve the issue. Guess I'm taking the carb apart!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Make sure you are getting spark, check the points, coil etc. rebuild that carb. also its possible that its a turbo issue, can you describe what its like as it dies? sudden or slow? whats it sound like? will it stay running if you keep some throttle on it? not sure if it misfires at all but if you listen you an usually tell if its a rich or lean condition. while youre at addressing the fuel system get a re manufactured fuel pump, for piece of mind. they are like 30 bucks well worth it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would think it's getting spark since the car starts up on starter fluid, correct me if I'm wrong. The car suddenly dies as soon as the starter fluid burns through. I've thought about replacing the fuel pump but I know the car is getting fuel as o can hear it getting gas, although I'm not sure how much pressure it needs to be pulling. Let me know what you think.

Just picked up a carb rebuild kit for $20 and 5 gallons of carb cleaner for $90. Realized that it's not worth it to rebuild a 2 barrel stock carb and have the risk of not being able to get the car running since I've never rebuilt one before. Looks like I'm getting the quadrajet!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update-got her running!! So proud of myself, don't know too much about cars haha

Carb got rebuilt and I plugged off all the fuel lines and it fired up after a couple tries.

Now I need some help/tips- I need to replace the flywheel and put the transmission and driveshaft back on. What kind of transmission mount do I need??

Also the steering column is not hooked up either so I've been starting the car using a screwdriver from underneath the car, how do I hook the ignition up so I can start it with my keys? Sorry for all these dumb questions, I'm making progress and I am just so excited. Going to start a restoration thread soon and I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help so far!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts