Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have headman headers with header glass packs as you can imagine all the exhaust ends up in the car

I was thinking just running from that out in front of the wheels

Or am I better to run full tails

Or should I ditch the glass packs and go with a flow master type muffler, I use the thrush welded often with good results love the price

And again dump in front of rear wheels or full tails

On this car loud does not bother me as its my toy, I do not want that 80s 5.0 mustang sound

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would go all the way out the back. My car doesn't have AC, and in the drummer I wouldn't want to smell that exhaust.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I dont have my new exhaust on yet as its is in boxes, last thing to go on. I have dual flowmasters that will go right to the back and stick out with tailpipe tips. I will also have headers on my car.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Mine goes back and dumps right off the mufflers. I think that is how I had it on mine 30 years ago also. I hate it. I must be getting old. So in the future I want it to go all the way back and dump out at the rear of the car. I have been looking at some of the systems that have the muffler in the original location and that should help with ground clearance. But there are other things that I would rather spend my money on so for right now the exhaust I will live with for a while.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Mine goes back and dumps right off the mufflers. I think that is how I had it on mine 30 years ago also. I hate it. I must be getting old. So in the future I want it to go all the way back and dump out at the rear of the car. I have been looking at some of the systems that have the muffler in the original location and that should help with ground clearance. But there are other things that I would rather spend my money on so for right now the exhaust I will live with for a while.
I've been looking at this setup from thrush and I like the price .

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/wlk-89021/overview/year/1969/make/pontiac/model/firebird

Review

This system exceeded my expectations. Follow the directions and this system will install nicely. I'm assuming it was designed for a small block equipped Camaro but I took a shot at installing on my 68 Firebird with a Pontiac V8. It worked great with some modifications. Right side collector reducer had to be shortened to get H-pipe to fit. Having access to a mig welder is a must! Would have been nice to have two piece tail pipes to allow adjustment. I cut and shortened the vertical height of the tail pipes so they tucked up into the quarter panels. 45 slash cut the tailpipes outlets with my chop saw and steel cut off blade. For the money this system is outstanding. It sounds fantastic. 1) Give yourself a whole day if you want everything to fit perfectly. 2) Have a friend help out with mockup and positioning. 3) Sawzall and Mig welder are a must

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
We did a Pypes x-flow system similar to what James posted, with the transverse muffler. We have Headman headers and it sounds great, I definitely wouldn't want the car any louder. That Thrush kit James posted looks like a hell of a deal though, about 1/2 what we paid, but looks like quite a bit of work. The Pypes system was a pretty easy installation.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
I will be running 3" X pipe with 40 series flowmasters dumped right before the rear axle. Will use tapered cut turn downs so will be silly loud and choppy with a 108LSA. But then again, this is a barely street legal bracket car. For street use, I'd use the same thing but turn it out in front of the rear tires with some of those oval nascar type turn outs. PITA to fit 3" over the rear axle...

·
Registered
468 Posts
I've been looking at this setup from thrush and I like the price .

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/wlk-89021/overview/year/1969/make/pontiac/model/firebird

Review

This system exceeded my expectations. Follow the directions and this system will install nicely. I'm assuming it was designed for a small block equipped Camaro but I took a shot at installing on my 68 Firebird with a Pontiac V8. It worked great with some modifications. Right side collector reducer had to be shortened to get H-pipe to fit. Having access to a mig welder is a must! Would have been nice to have two piece tail pipes to allow adjustment. I cut and shortened the vertical height of the tail pipes so they tucked up into the quarter panels. 45 slash cut the tailpipes outlets with my chop saw and steel cut off blade. For the money this system is outstanding. It sounds fantastic. 1) Give yourself a whole day if you want everything to fit perfectly. 2) Have a friend help out with mockup and positioning. 3) Sawzall and Mig welder are a must
I saw that this week price did seem really good. The only thing I was concerned about was the sound. I drove one back in the day that did not have the resonators before the back muffler and it was crazy loud. Of course I cannot remember what the muffler was now.

We did a Pypes x-flow system similar to what James posted, with the transverse muffler. We have Headman headers and it sounds great, I definitely wouldn't want the car any louder. That Thrush kit James posted looks like a hell of a deal though, about 1/2 what we paid, but looks like quite a bit of work. The Pypes system was a pretty easy installation.
Do you have any audio on how yours sounds with the single muffler?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guess exhaust will be a while found a full exhaust on Craigslist $50 guy says come get it then won't answer and finaly let's me know its sold wtf, cl people kill me

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hy

I use flowtec headers with 3" colector to 2.5" pipe with glaspacs (cherry bombs)

And flowmaster 40 serie original.

Rearend with normal tips 2.5 to 3" for a better resonance noise. (Complete without x or H pipe conection)

Befor I tried the end after the rearaxle with downpipes.(to loud inside)

A friend of mine with a 79 camaro have it on side for the rear wheels. (Loud as hell) and it smells to much inide the car.

Exhaust to rearend it quite better I thing.

Regards
Sascha

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I don't have any audio at the moment, I'm in the middle of putting in an hei distributor, and it's snowing. All I have to record is a cell phone, I'll see if I can get something decent to share once I'm up and running again and can pull it outside.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am thinking 1 chamber with tailpipes straight out the back, just don't want that 80/90s 5.0 mustang crap drone

·
Registered
596 Posts
I love the Hushpowers on my 69 bird!Had a set on it when I sold it,when I bought it back the owner kept them!Put another set on the car.Straight thru,I can listen to my radio and with a H pipe no drone.I also have them on my 63 421 Lemans.Tom

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK sold some stuff so I am about ready to buy an exhaust, more questions

I see I can buy 2.5 " mandrel bent straight out the back tails 110 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161704315938?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

or 165 shipped with single chamber flow master type mufflers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201349459017?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Now I also see jegs sells a complete exhaust for 230 Shipped but tails don't go straight out the rear

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400472703722?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So I have headman long tubes now and they line up perfect with the exhaust humps in the trans cross member , I see the kits being sold show that the main pipe makes 2 45* bends between the header and muffler, are these needed?

Guess I need a pic of how you guys header exhaust is run

·
Registered
468 Posts
The Jegs one did not look bad. But I would consider the one Brown Bird recommended. In the reviews one guy had put it on a 1st gen Firebird.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts