Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the story: I get out of the gym, unlock my car as usual, go to sit in my car. As I begin to pullout of my parking space, I notice the dome lights are not going off. I thought it was strange so I opened and closed both my driver and passenger doors, which did the trick (dome lights went out). As I'm driving home, the dome lights come on again for no reason, so I had to pull over for a moment to re-open and close my doors. Again, very strange. Finally, I get home, lock my car and go inside. Maybe 5-10 minutes later, the alarm on my car begins to go off. So I now have to leave it unlocked in hopes of temporarily avoiding the alarm going off again; but I may not be able to avoid the problem of my dome lights coming on, and therefore draining my battery.

Long story short, I believe my car thinks one of the doors (i suspect the passenger door) keeps opening. Is this a relatively common problem? Any ideas on how to fix this? I drive a 1997 Firebird Formula. I've read a bit about the dome lights coming on for no reason sometimes, but nothing about the alarm going off. Thanks!

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,910 Posts
The drop in voltage when the dome light comes on is what's triggering the alarm. Start by checking the switch in the door jamb.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,084 Posts
If your car is like mine, the door switch is in the door latch. Others have a pin switch in the door jamb. You can tell immediately (without any lamp delays) by putting the key in the ignition switch (not switched on) and listening to the bell chiming sound to come or go. Door open, it chimes; door closed, it stops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.