Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Firebird with a 3800 with 148k miles

I posted under anything V6 about removing auto transmission to replace rear seal.

Started project this weekend and I am stuck

I got drive shaft and everything else off but I can not get the top 2 bolts on the transmission loose.

I found you tube video on a Transam about lowering transmission and engine and using 34" of ratchet extension to get to top bolts. Figuring this was a V8 though.

Lowering engine and transmission did make it easier to get to bolts but I can not get them loose.

Even with engine and trans lowered I can not get to bolts from the back of transmission.

I am able to get to the bolts from the side with a swivel ratchet but can't get bolts loose. Broke 3/8" swivel ratchet trying

Going to try and get 1/2" 6 point socket and better swivel.

Also thinking if I could get transmission lower I could get to top bolts from back with straight extension which would give me more torque.

Looking for help or advice from anyone who has removed the trans from a similar vehicle.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
If you can get a impact gun on it that should get it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the top bolts off with a long 1/2" extension and good narrow swivel. Borrowed an impact swivel from a friend but it was too bulky to get through the space. Went and bought a thinner impact swivel and was able to get on the bolt.

Didn't have to get the transmission any lower.

Now it is just to pull off the fly wheel, replace the seal and put it all back together.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
I read rear seal and was thinking "why pull the trans out for a tail shaft seal" ...then i realized you mean rear MAIN seal. lol. glad you got it sorted. When I was an R/R guy at a trans shop, I had a 36" long 1/2" drive input, 3/8" drive output and would use a impact wobble socket on them. Think they are 15mm or 18mm heads...cant remember its been so long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts