Firebird Nation banner

Face Book FBN?

869 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Aus78Formula 
#1 ·
Just curious if Firebird Nation, has a Face Book page. Not that I care, cause not only don't I have FB, I don't even own a mobile phone. Keeps people from calling me.
I know that another "brand X" site, has gone to a FB.....site(?), Channel(?), what-ever it's called, and the regular site has seriously diminished in participation, due to the changer over. Wonder how many people (members) are now chatting on FB, rather than here.

#2 ·
For what it’s worth, that other sites FB page doesn’t seem to be any busier than the forum. They’re all dying. The whole “Give a man a fish vs. teach a man to fish” thing is ever present. Forum is too much work for most people it seems. They’d much rather post their question, get their answer immediately then never return.

#3 ·
Hello BH, I know you. Small world, huh? (LOL)
Shame, isn't it? This hobby was such the rage, for so many years. It still amazes me how much progress we can make on our cars now, compared to BC, (B4 computers), and how much faster now, because we can reach out so much further and, faster. for info. I still think we have a few good years left, if we can just find more people to participate. I know I can't say much, seeing I was away for quite some time. But the forums were so much busier, even just a few years ago.

#5 ·
Hello BH, I know you. Small world, huh? (LOL)
Shame, isn't it? This hobby was such the rage, for so many years. It still amazes me how much progress we can make on our cars now, compared to BC, (B4 computers), and how much faster now, because we can reach out so much further and, faster. for info. I still think we have a few good years left, if we can just find more people to participate. I know I can't say much, seeing I was away for quite some time. But the forums were so much busier, even just a few years ago.
They are such a valuable resource too. I have learned an immense amount from them. And compared to a few jeep and dodge truck forum I belonged to before the Firebird ones, I was blown away by the camaraderie at the Firebird ones. Most anyway.

#4 ·
Oddly enough, since the software was (allegedly) updated by the owners (Vertical Scope) a few years back, we continue to see a few new members joining every day. Some appear to be committed to the hobby, introduce themselves, provide info on their cars, and repay they help they receive by coming back and helping others. Surprisingly the new members include many from Canada, and a few from Europe.

On the other hand, many of the newbies come for one purpose - solving a difficult problem. No introduction, little or no info about their Firebird, just “help me” - one and done. They often don’t even bother to acknowledge the help, no response, no way to tell if they solved the problem. Or they decline to answer requests for additional info about the problem, the steps they've taken so far, etc.

I've spent time looking at YouTube videos that some members reference, and many of them are highly inaccurate. The help provided on Facebook is often just as bad.

Yet, another forum I administer - CamaroZ28. com) - with about 140,000 members has almost ceased to exist. The only new people that show up are primarily new owners of clapped-out 1993-1997 4th Gens who have heard that there are maybe a half-dozen LT1 experts still answering questions. That site also failed to update to cover the newer generations of the Camaro, in spite of us long-time members telling the owners they had to update or the site would die. (But wait - you're the Administrator. Yes but only because I assumed the position after the last remaining Admin only signed in to the site once in a 5-year period.).

I think that the strong point of Firebird Nation was the development of a community of all generations of strongly committed Firebird owners/hobbyists. That camaraderie is slowly disappearing. Not a good sign.

Reactions: brianb
#6 ·
Fred, I admittedly didn’t read your response until after I posted my last. I would have to agree the camaraderie isn’t as strong as it used to be but it’s not all gone yet. FBN is one of the last forums I’ve joined. Hadn’t heard about it before joining last year unfortunately. There is a lot of good info I may have missed since buying my car 12-13 years ago. That said, I find myself here frequently and appreciate it here.

I’ve gathered that there is sometimes some displeasure with the host/owner of this forum but I have to admit, I think the latest software update here is one of the best I’ve used once you get used to it.

I would have to agree about the poor info on FB. I see a few people who seem to have it together and can answer questions correctly but the vast majority don’t seem to have a clue. Some answers are downright dangerous, for instance, someone asked about removing front springs from a 1st or 2nd gen bird. Imagine the frightening suggestions that popped up. Literally dangerous.

#7 ·
So I'm assuming that FBN "doesn't" have a Face Book page. Maybe that's why there seems to be more chatter here, than on brand X. (?)

#8 ·
Quality, not quantity.

#9 ·
FBN doesn't have a Facebook page, but Firebird Nation Car Club (FBNCC) has both a Page and a Group. I still manage the Page some. Fiancé and I have several Bird groups that we started or manage:
Formula Firebirds Forever​
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am Lovers​
Pace Car and Special Edition Trans Ams​

I always go back to my original impressions, Facebook is good for getting a fast response or sharing a photo. Forums are better for storing information for long term use. Once you post something in Facebook, it's very difficult to find it again.

Here the search engine works fairly well and we have a lot of links and posts saved in the Tech Articles. We even have an indexes (Master Lists) to find things easily in the Tech Articles. Facebook has nothing like those capabilities.

We lost a lot of the camaraderie when the Shoutbox and Chat were shut down. Also when the Car Club fell apart. Fiancé & I have tried to keep the Car Club alive here and with Facebook and Youtube but no one joins clubs anymore. Currently we have 2 members, lol. But would love to have more.

#10 ·
I can see clubs from a forum being difficult Layna, cause people are spread out all over the country, (if not world). I hear about forum get-togethers for a members "meet and greet", but once again, it depends on your local.I would think if there was a location where a lot of members live, might get a good turn-out, but it must be tough to coordinate. But for now, I don't mind a computer driven club. It's better than nothing at all. And all of us here appreciate the effort put forth by the mods, and administrators. As for Face Book, i could care less.

#14 ·
LOL. the grammar police have arrived.
Not sure what the schools are teaching "down under", but I guess it's how you wanna analyze it.
Basically what the sayin means is, "I care so little" it's not possible to care less.
But thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead. I don't believe FB has done the world any good. Does it have benefits? I guess to some, in a few ways, possibly. But because of the addiction, the youth of today have become so totally dependant on it for bogus social reasons, face to face interactions have become obsolete. Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but the evidence is there. And because I've lived my entire life W/O it, I don't think I'm missing out on anything.
And I don't think I "could care any less", if I cared at all. But hey...that's just me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.