Firebird Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Firebird Trans Am
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined, I purchased a 59k mile 86 Firebird that spent most of its life in NV. Then a couple years in TX, long enough for that owner to dent up the front passenger corner a bit. Car has been repaired. I bought the car at auction. Picking it up next week. They say it runs great. New battery, new front seats and new exhaust.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
3,134 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,203 Posts
Good for you. Is the hood unlatched in the photo? It looks a tiny bit high, maybe just needs adjustment. I always liked the looks of my 86 TA more than the later generation.

Reactions: SubDude

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
2,118 Posts
Welcome!

I love the third generation look. It's what got me started on my love for Trans Ams when I was a kid. Knight Rider! :cool:

·
DELCO NERD
2,118 Posts
That's probably the case. The core support would have to be bent for the hood latch's positioning to be affected. That would have likely resulted in condenser and radiator damage. Was there anything of the sort?

·
Registered
1986 Firebird Trans Am
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's probably the case. The core support would have to be bent for the hood latch's positioning to be affected. That would have likely resulted in condenser and radiator damage. Was there anything of the sort?
Picking the vehicle up Monday. Won’t know till that time. Crossing fingers, purchased through photos, description of running condition and carfax history so that’s a first for me.

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
5,444 Posts
Welcome to FBN & congrats on the new car

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,203 Posts
"Real" Trans Am's are white, the official American international racing color. Of course my 86 was white! But when I saw the bland look of the "new" 1998 TA's in white I was turned off....so went red ;-) It was a midlife crisis after all!

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
3,134 Posts
  • Haha

·
Registered
1986 Firebird Trans Am
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it was too good to be true. She wouldn’t idle, speedometer & odometer no functional, service engine light on, no turn signals, continuous ignition buzzer, cracked windshield, hood wouldn’t shut completely. Interior was torn up. This car was driven at least 150k miles, not 50k. I think it’s a $1000 car, but not $4k. The auction place acknowledged they misrepresented the vehicle, gave me my check back. WHEW!

·
DELCO NERD
2,118 Posts
Yikes!!! Sounds like you dodged a bullet there. But for the place to even admit that they did you wrong? Lame.

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
3,134 Posts
Maybe offer to give the $1000 you think it's worth and keep it? Hell, giving what shipping costs, offer $500? Might be a good way to get into the F-Body and learn a lot in the process. It's cool to have a nice looking car, but it's so much more liberating to have something you can thoroughly trash and not care one bit about. Pretty much any decent 3rd gen "rolling chassis" is worth $1,000. Junkyard engine, aftermarket ECU, couple aftermarket gauges, some cheap eBay seats if needed, and you've got a fun little street/strip beater on your hands. Want to learn engines and electrical? Great candidate.

Going the junkyard engine / aftermarket ECU route, you could probably be on the road for the same amount you almost got shafted over give or take a little. You could pick up a totaled but running 4th gen Formula/Trans Am for a couple thousand and really "modernize" the powertrain. LT/LS1, 6-speed, and various other things like the front seats will transfer with minimal to no effort, and when you're done, you can part out the rest of the 4th gen and sell what is left to the junkyard as scrap.

Just my thoughts.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,203 Posts
Maybe offer to give the $1000 you think it's worth and keep it? Hell, giving what shipping costs, offer $500? Might be a good way to get into the F-Body and learn a lot in the process. It's cool to have a nice looking car, but it's so much more liberating to have something you can thoroughly trash and not care one bit about. Pretty much any decent 3rd gen "rolling chassis" is worth $1,000. Junkyard engine, aftermarket ECU, couple aftermarket gauges, some cheap eBay seats if needed, and you've got a fun little street/strip beater on your hands. Want to learn engines and electrical? Great candidate.

Going the junkyard engine / aftermarket ECU route, you could probably be on the road for the same amount you almost got shafted over give or take a little. You could pick up a totaled but running 4th gen Formula/Trans Am for a couple thousand and really "modernize" the powertrain. LT/LS1, 6-speed, and various other things like the front seats will transfer with minimal to no effort, and when you're done, you can part out the rest of the 4th gen and sell what is left to the junkyard as scrap.

Just my thoughts.
I like that idea. The dealer is in a bad place now. Take advantage of that. Coincidentally I sold my 86 TA to a sales person at the dealership for $1k too where I bought my 98 TA. I am sure I could have gotten more but didn't care at the time;-)

·
Registered
1986 Firebird Trans Am
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Just my thoughts.
I offered them $1000, they said they have to re-auction the car.

·
Registered
1978 Trans Am - 400 - TH350 - 3.23 - Y82 - WS6
47 Posts
"Real" Trans Am's are white, the official American international racing color. Of course my 86 was white! But when I saw the bland look of the "new" 1998 TA's in white I was turned off....so went red ;-) It was a midlife crisis after all!

(insert polaroid picture of white third gen 😜)
I wanted to argue so bad as I am biased towards black but after a little googlin:
The first Trans Am WAS white....

I offered them $1000, they said they have to re-auction the car.
Damn brother, sounds like a not so good auction house... Keep your head up and keep looking! Don't let Pontiac die and be controlled by the man.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts