Firebird Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Firebird nation, I am new to this forum and could use some advice from one of the many knowledgeable contributors.
I am in the process of restoring my 1976 Transam 400. I am the second owner and bought the car in 1984. Unfortunately lifes responsibilities got in the way an was forced to park it in 1989. As everyone knows these cars were great hiway cruisers but gutless dogs in town. I hope my restoration will give it some tire burning strength in town but still be able to be comfortable on the open road.
The motor is currently being put together with a Kauffman engine package including Kauffman D port aluminum heads. I was looking for a set of cast H.O manifolds and a stainless 2.5" X over exhaust system.
I am working out of a very small shop with the car on stands so I would like to make this as simple as possible.
The results from my research so far has not been promising, most people are very disappointed with the fit and extra hours if not days to get some of theses systems to fit. Others have spent hundreds of dollars taking it to an exhaust shop to get them to finish it off. Then there are the sites with very poor reviews.
Has anyone out there had any luck with a similar system that they could recommend. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you Firebird Nation
Flyersand Firebirds

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello and welcome aboard. Since you are looking for HO cast iron exhaust manifolds, check out the oversized versions at Ram Air Restoration Enterprises website. Myself and a friend have been using them successfully. RARE also sells complete systems with cross-overs. Also get a set of his mandrel bent downpipes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brianb, Rare was my first choice but they were having supply issues and had a few very bad reviews. I was wondering if there was anything comparable out there.
I will try them again, hopefully he has his supply issues figured out.
Your advice is appreciated.
Thankyou.
FlyersandFirebirds

·
Registered
112 Posts
Gosh I'm surprised about the bad reviews lately. My friend and I have been running those for 5 years now. No leaks and the 2.5" versions flow very well. They'll never beat tube headers but still perform very good. Here are my friend's latest timeslips. He runs these on his '74 Formula 455 with a Quadrajet and '72 Pontiac cast iron intake. He'll be in the 11s next year. You are welcome. If I come across any other options, I will let you know.
Handwriting Font Wood Material property Hardwood

·
Registered
700 Posts
They are around,I see them pop up on ebay,Im helping a friend do his 76 T/A,we are putting a Roadster Shop chassis under it,455 with RA manifolds,200R4.He wants it kind of quiet so we are going to be doing 2.5 al the way back over the axles.Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gosh I'm surprised about the bad reviews lately. My friend and I have been running those for 5 years now. No leaks and the 2.5" versions flow very well. They'll never beat tube headers but still perform very good. Here are my friend's latest timeslips. He runs these on his '74 Formula 455 with a Quadrajet and '72 Pontiac cast iron intake. He'll be in the 11s next year. You are welcome. If I come across any other options, I will let you know. View attachment 232131
Brianb, the bad reviews weren't becase of the product, they were because of the customer service. A few guys either never got their parts or got them months later and could not contact anyone to resolve it.
Hopefully they have everything running smooth again.
I'll try him again on Monday.
On a different topic, would you mind sharing information on your Go to Firebird parts place.
This covid thing has really messed up the supply chain.
It has become very difficult to get some parts, most site's claim they have a item in stock and will have it delivered quickly. So after buying the item and waiting for days I usually get an email saying that it's not in stock and probably a month or more away. Very frustrating.
I'm still looking for a complete decal kit, carpet, complete weather strip kit, front spoiler and flares along with several other small interior items.
Is there a one stop shop out there that you know of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
Hope you're having a good Thanksgiving.
FlyersandFirebirds

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the clarity on RARE. Did not know about that. I may not be a good source for higher dollar hard parts since I've basically finished my major projects over 5 years ago before QC problems really started to get out of control. I'm at a fine tuning point now for ignition and fuel delivery. Perhaps another person can offer guidance on camshafts, lifters, springs, ring gears, etc. For all my fuel delivery parts I use Cliff's High Performance for carb stuff and RobbMc(IMHO the best)for fuel pumps. Before Greg Gessler passed away unexpectedly this Summer, RIP, I used Quadrajetparts.com almost exclusively. I hope his family can re-open the business. They were just outstanding. I use Pertronix Ignitor III with great success. LubeLocker makes great trans pan etc. gaskets I 've found. Ames Performance for basic Pontiac restoration parts have served me well in the past.

·
Registered
112 Posts
SD Performance in Chilliwack British Columbia might be a good domestic source for you on high performance parts. I haven't used them yet but they have a great name in the Pontiac community from what I hear. I would guess their connections with manufacturers would be strong and their guidance trustworthy as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts