Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bare with me please, not used to asking for help. ok, had a 98 firebird with a 3.8 liter v6 and a 4l60e automatic transmission. keys got stolen and my bad temper screwed up the steering column trying to bypass it. that and since the car had a few problems with the body and i owned another 98 firebird that i bought with no motor or tranny i decided to swap them. after the swap my transmission just slipped. wouldnt even move my car. bought a new tranny, same thing. read somewhere about shims so added 3 - .025 shims to the flexplate. now it moves, although it still slips and takes some rpms to get going. but it vibrates excessively. I don't understand because it worked great in my other firebird. any places i should examine? ideas? some noteworthy things to add is on the new install my dad replaced the transmission cooler lines with hoses, and i checked the fluid level, its full. also i replaced rear main seal while i had the engine out.... please help

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Did you happen to use the torque converter from your old transmission? If yes, converter could be problem. If you used the converter from the other trans you bought, seeing you had never used that part, the 2nd converter could easily be bad also.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Swap your cooler lines. The factory cooler has a check valve in it so it doesn't drain back to the pan when sitting idle. You have them reversed so there is 0 cooler flow.....hence no pump pressure to engage. If you keep revving it, you will destroy the pump, or smoke the forward or low/reverse clutches.

If swapping them makes no difference then the cooler is completely stopped up, bypass it and use an external cooler.

Remove the shims. You have the converter back too far now so the "nose cone" on the converter is not engaged in the crankshaft to center it. On older transmissions you can get away with shimming since the nose cone is much longer but on the V6 converter, its a very small pointy cone and not much engages the crankshaft when seated against the flywheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts