Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our new engine is done! We picked it up today!

Now the fun begins! We installed it the first time before we had the fenders or fenderwells or heater, AC, etc.

So what is the easiest way to pull and install an engine? It's an AC car, so we've got the AC parts on the firewall to contend with. Would really love to pull it without having to remove those.

I'm leaning towards separating the engine and transmission and pulling the radiator and the fan. I'm thinking (hoping) that that gives us enough room up front to pull the engine without removing or damaging the AC housing. We have a hoist with the angle adjustment so I'm thinking we can move it forward and tilt the front up and ease it out of there.

So what do you guys think? Will this work? How should we go about this?

·
Registered
31 Posts
TYK -

I just pulled my 400 this past weekend. I left the tranny hooked up specifically to help in the removal. The weight of the tranny helped keep the tail low and the fan side up which helped enable the oil pan to clear the crossmember - plus you don't have to struggle with the tranny bolts.

FWIW

Good Luck

Paisan

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Being an AC car, I would separate the trans/engine. those ac boxes are pita to stay away from and just one bump and crunch...

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Unless the trans needed to come out for some reason, I always left 'em in. Saves having to unhook the vac & cooler lines, trans mount & crossmember, shifter cable, driveshaft, and then having to hook all that stuff back up, when you put the motor back in. Unhooking the cooler lines and driveshaft can also make a mess on the shop floor. :(

Unbotling and rebolting the trans and torque converter just seems easier, to me. :smile22:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.