Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having to do a complete rebuild on my 400, (1968 firebird conv.) The car is numbers matching with 100% providence (window sticker, protecto plate, bill of sale..) I'm looking for info on factory color markings, stamps and decals. Want to make it look as much like it came from the factory as possible. I know the products and paints are available, but what i'm looking for is exactly where to put them. Does anyone know of a reference guide that shows this? Also restoring the engine bay and looking for the same info for that area. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Adding a before we pulled it pick, Thanks, David

Attachments

· Administrator
'93 6-spd Trans Am - '96 C4
3,203 Posts
Look to Phoenix Graphics. They are licensed to reproduce the decals, and I'm almost positive they sell the "templates" to locate them properly. If not there, try Googling Firebird Decal Template and see what bites. I'm fairly sure Firebird Central has all the engine emblems and decals too, as well as location templates but don't quote me on either of those.

Good Luck!

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update, I contacted Phoenix Graphic and unfortunately they no longer sell the technical decal kits. Classic Industries sells the decals, but do not have a template or anything to show exact locations. So I can get the decal (and paint sticks for factory markings) but still looking for info on where everything goes, want to be as close to original as possible. When you google it, you get an overload of websites selling the TA firebird hood decal... Thanks, David

· Administrator
'93 6-spd Trans Am - '96 C4
3,203 Posts
Damn. Sorry. I had no idea they were unavailable. Now I know, and I'll stop sending people their way. ..shame. They should be able to load a sheet of 3M Vinyl into their plotter/cutter and "print" new ones on the spot. Maybe they are no longer authorized to reproduce them?

I might suggest contacting places that restore these cars, maybe a little "brotherhood" will go a long way. There's a Classic Car Museum/Showroom with locations in a couple states called Hanksters. The guys in the Daytona Beach location were really friendly, knowledgeable, and have a passion for these Classics that borders near insanity. I do not know who "restores" their cars, but they restore or "clone" them to Showroom condition including all the various color paint marks, etc. They or their guy(s) are very meticulous. It wouldn't be a stretch to call them Concourse level restorations.

Can't say I've seen a 1st Gen Firebird on their floor, but the work they do (or have done for them) on first Gen Camaros and other makes/models is certainly well above average.

Almost bought a fresh Yenko clone from them 5 years back. Even though it was a clone, it was correct down to every last detail. Even the L72/M21. Only $45k for a fresh restoration. Compared to a genuine Yenko which was going for over a quarter-million, it was hard to walk away. I could have afforded the financing terms without problem, I just didn't want the financial commitment.

Anyway, maybe they could put you in contact with someone who can advise you, or at the very least direct you to where you need to be?

That's all I got. If I owned one, I'd happily go out and measure for you.

Good Luck! ...again, sorry Phoenix and Classic Industries shot you down. Did you try Firebird Central too?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem, and the Phoenix guy did not say why they were discontinued. If i had to guess, I'd bet lack of sales, it's not a common item.
Firebird central sells the decals and frame marking paint. The guy asked around, but they do not have anything showing locations.
There is a local pontiac facebook club, I'll reach out to them and see what happens. However I'm not into FB at all!
If i find the info I'll try and put something together and post it here.
Thanks, David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts