Firebird Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running OK but in this heat I am running about 220 or so running down the road at 70 mph. Its 100 plus degrees. So I am not sure if its a bit high because of a circulation issue or just the high outside temp. Thanks for any help. Its a 1980 301 rebuilt about a year ago. I had the radiator removed and cleaned by a radiator shop, Seems to be half full in the res. of coolant.

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,830 Posts
It's been so long since I drove an "old" v8, but I think 220F is right on the line for something pre-1993. It's not uncommon for 1st and 2nd gen owners to buy a radiator with an extra core or two to help combat higher engine temperatures, even with a "perfect" engine/cooling system. First thing you need to do is determine if your temp gauge is correct, this could be a simple as an incorrect reading because a sensor/sender is failing. If your fan clutch is sticking, that would create an extra load on the engine while cruising, which could also increase temperatures. Collapsed upper/lower hose, low coolant level in radiator, failing thermostat, failing head gasket, weak/inadequate water-pump for the location/temperatures? Can't think of much else.

220F could be completely normal for the current environment. Here in Florida, during Summer, I think my '80 Z28 ran around 200-210F with a 160F thermostat and the A/C running, and around 190-200F with A/C off. That was 3 decades ago though. I could be remembering wrong. 17 year old me was more concerned with the blonde in the passenger seat than engine temps.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has a new water pump, it only started with the heat. But it goes into the shop because the oil gauge is erratic. I have tried everything I know. Also had a new fuel pump put on and its leaking. So that has to be looked at.

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,830 Posts
That reminds me... Running lean causes higher temperatures, as does incorrect timing.

Reactions: brianb

·
Registered
16 Posts
FWIW.....I installed a FlowKooler water pump 10 years ago and it dropped my temps 10 degrees. I also installed a quality high-flow Milodon thermostat to compliment it. Cruising in 85 degree weather my temps are 180/190 and 220 with the A/C running. My engine is a 455 with TH-400 transmission and 3:08 rear gears.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if its related, but I found the hose clamps were loose on the fuel pump. It was leaking fuel. So if it was leaking fuel could it be drawing air also?

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,403 Posts
Pontiac engines do run hotter than other engines.

There is a water pump change that may help. Water Pump Mod

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure where we are. I tried to tell the shop I put in a tested new old stock gauge and it did not do anything, I put on a new everything in the oil pressure system gauge and it did nothing but they did the same things again. Wasting time. Not sure where we are. The gas lines were very loose on the fuel pump. I tightened them down just before I took it to the shop. It seemed to be running fine but that was a limited drive. I will call today to see what is going on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts