Firebird Nation banner

Engine oil suddenly high on dipstick?

950 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  b_hill_86 
#1 ·
The oil light came on in my '67 Firebird (326 2 bbl) yesterday and when I stopped to check it, it was half way up the dipstick – probably three times higher that what it is supposed to be. I don't have an oil pressure gauge so cannot tell what that is. I have heard that sometimes a fuel pump will go bad and allow gas to get into the oil showing higher on the dipstick. I have smelled it and can't really tell if gas got into it. When I got home and let it rest it did seem to go down a bit, but it was definitely dark in color (NO frothing taking place). This morning it seemed to maybe be a little lower, but not significantly lower. It did seem lighter in color this morning though.

It doesn't seem like the fuel pump idea is anything because as far as I know the fuel sender pump is in the gas tank not up by the engine/carb.

My plan is to drain the oil, change the filter and see what happens, but wondering if anyone has suggestions on what else I can or should do?

#2 · (Edited)
If the carb is dumping too much fuel, it can flood the cylinders, wash down the cylinder walls, and bypass the rings, getting into the crankcase. Has there been signs of it running rich - fuel smell in the exhaust? Has your fuel pump been relocated into the tank? In cars that old they're usually mounted to the block, driven off a cam eccentric.

#3 ·
Does the oil light indicate a loss of oil pressure, or something else?

#4 ·
I haven't noticed it running rich nor do I smell anything coming out the exhaust. I am not finding the fuel pump up near the engine, but will have to look again. I assume that if I follow the fuel line from the carb, it will run into the fuel pump (I will look again). For some reason I was thinking some '67's had the standard fuel pump up near the engine/carb, but was thinking there was also one for some models that were located in the tank with or part of the sending unit. I guess I'll have to get the books out to know if that is really the case.

The oil "idiot" light I assume is an indication of a change in oil pressure. I always thought it meant low oil, but I suppose if there is excess, it could mean any change in pressure that is not standard – maybe high?

#5 ·
I believe that Fred is correct...unless the fuel pump has been relocated by a previous owner, it would be mounted to the engine and easily accessible.

If your oil is contaminated by fuel, it would (1) begin to lose viscosity and (2) most likely cause a reduction in oil pressure while the engine is running. Neither condition is good for the life of the engine.

#7 ·
Look on the driver side of the engine, up front. As I recall it may actually be mounted to the side of the timing cover. It's 40 years since I actually owned a car with a Pontiac engine.

#9 ·
Can’t find a good 326 picture but here’s my 400 showing the fuel pump location. Believe it should be the same on yours unless someone installed an electric pump.

I agree though, I’d change the oil, verify the level and monitor closely at the least. There are really only two fluids that could increase volume, fuel and coolant. Coolant would be more noticeable I’d think. As mentioned though a reduction in viscosity could reduce pressure enough for the light to illuminate. I think I’d also consider a mechanics oil pressure gauge to verify pressures. Whether that be a test gauge or one mounted temporarily.
Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#11 ·
And just to be clear… the pump I posted in #2 is just an example so you know what you are looking for. It is not specific to your 326.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.