Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a story but I'm going to start at the very beginning. I have a 2002 3.8 v6 3800 series 2 convertible. I had noticed that one of my headlights went out and didn't get to it right away; when I did get to it, it had just came disconnected and one of the prongs got bent on the bulb so I straightened it out plugged it back in when I was doing this I decided to go ahead and turn on the headlights on without the car running being only took maybe 5 minutes. For a couple weeks after that I had what seemed to be a parasitic draw somewhere I did several different tests trying to find it and could never find it. Car started operating normally again for a couple days and then one day I had just left church car had probably been sitting for about 3 hours and it started up but it had all kinds of weird dash lights on; No check engine light, and my voltage was really high 17+ volts. My alternator and battery was only 7 months old both brand new. But I had them tested at the local O'Reilly's and they said they were fine. Went ahead and drove home and double check the voltage with a meter, same reading. It was at this point I turned the car off, and when I tried to turn it back on starter clicked a couple times and then all power shut down I immediately thought oh maybe it's the fusible link looking around I cannot find a fusible link so I checked all the fuses as well and all the fuses seemed to check out. Cleaned all the grounds cleaned battery connectors and any acid off the battery which there was none. Decided to go ahead and replace the alternator being I had a warranty on it. The new alternator on car ran fine for a day, and then the same thing happened. Now I had to replace the battery because it damaged the battery. When I do drive it just around the block it overcharges when accelerating but goes back down to normal when I'm slowing down. I thought maybe it's the Exciter wire but it shows 4.94 volts when running but nothing any other time. When car is parked at idle the lights do weird things like opening and closing several times and the aftermarket stereo usually doesn't work at all. Voltage output at the alternator is the same as on the battery no matter what I use as a ground. I'm at a loss on this one please help?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would probably take the battery in and have it tested properly, then alt and starter. If those are good then there is a heavy load somewhere. Get a good fuse puller and start pulling fuses one at a time…see if you notice any difference.

·
Administrator
3,390 Posts
I'm thinking you got another bad alternator, or There's a bad connection on a major power or ground wire. So check battery positive wire, make sure it's clean & tight at batt & starter. Same for batt ground. It grounds to engine block.

The fusable links are in a small red box on inner fender well.

A problem with the electrical part of ignition switch can cause weird problems. The electrical part of ign sw is under the dash, attached to steering column.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts